MMA Vera vs. Arlovski possible for UFC 78

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

:eek3:

Former UFC heavyweight champion Andrei Arlovski could likely face Brandon Vera during a pay-per-view (PPV) event to be held in November, according to two separate UFCmania.com sources.

Grumblings about the showdown surfaced during a meet-and-greet with Arlovski over the weekend in Ontario, Calif. We were unable to confirm or deny this rumor with the manager for “The Pitbull,” Keith Gelman, at the time of this writing.

However, if this bout is indeed booked it would feature two of the most popular fighters currently on the UFC roster. It would also help clear up a muddied picture within the suddenly crowded division.

Just yesterday, we passed along a report that mentioned “The Truth” would soon resolve his management issues, which have kept him on the sidelines since November 2006. Prior to the hiatus, he was rising fast in the division and was supposedly offered a contract to fight then-champion Tim Sylvia at UFC 68 back in March.

Even though he only has one fight remaining on his current UFC deal, Vera said he wants to fight twice in 2007. But, if he appears in November, it looks like he’s one and done for this year — win or lose.

Something tells me that most fans at this point couldn’t care less, especially if he’s locked inside the cage with the Belarusian.

Arlovski is a marquee attraction that has been noticeably absent — much to the chagrin of several UFCmania.com readers — since his last appearance at UFC 70: “Nations Collide” in April. He won that fight via unanimous decision over Fabricio Werdum and, prior to the performance, was thought to be next in line to challenge for the title.

It never happened and fans were left bewildered when the UFC booked four fights in the span of four weeks (August 25-September 22) and Arlovski was not among those to be featured.

Without question, a match up between Vera and Arlovski would be fantastic and a solid addition to a card that features (maybe, depending on the steroid charge) UFC Lightweight Champion Sean Sherk vs. BJ Penn.

However, both fighters as far as I can tell only have one fight each remaining on their UFC contracts. In addition, Vera has not yet been before the California State Athletic Commission to sever ties with his manager, Mark Dion.

Put simply, there are a lot of balls in the air being juggled right now. Not to mention, we have yet to receive confirmation on way or another from Arlovski’s manager.

But it’s definitely a showdown worth debating, whether it happens or not.

UFC 78 is expected to take place at the Prudential Arena in Newark, New Jersey, on November 17.

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

possible, but not very likely at all.

3. CxRxAxNxK

CxRxAxNxK New Member

why? so Arlovski can just bob and weave the entire fight and throw a couple fakes?

4. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

He wont be getting bitch slapped this time

5. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

i might see about going to UFC 78...

6. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

i would hope...a good way to get rid of one or the other

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

why get rid of either of them? their HW division is thick, but not that thick.

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

seriously

it's pretty lopsided. not as many up-and-comers as other weight divs

9. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

this would be vera's last fight on his contract...dosent have a new one right? and as much as I like AA he has dont nothing latley

10. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

If this fight happens, and Arlovski loses, I seriously doubt hell get a new contract; Unfortunately.

11. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

He's one of my favorite fighters, but if he does lose or put on a shitty performance I'm going to be a bit mad. He has so much potential, he needs to snap out of it. I'm not sure canning him would do much good though.

12. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

Well he would definitely be able to find another organization to fight with, and if he does really well there im sure UFC would have him back. Thats what they usually do. The UFC kinda looks at fighters and asks, "Are they the next big thing?" "Are they really entertaining?" or more generically, "will this guy help us sell PPVs?". If the answers to those questions are not yes then they probably wont bother renewing their contract and they'll just let them fight in a smaller organization until the answer to those questions turns to "yes".

13. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

That's true, and given the last fight he was in, I don't blame them for questioning him in such a manner.

14. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

while that is very true i highly doubt they will let him or Vera go as long as they arent demanding crazy money. I assume AA will get resigned at a much lower rate as he cant pull in PPV buys like he did a couple years back. I think if Vera wins he is sitting pretty in his contract negotiations, if he loses not so good. but i have a feeling they will work out something for him before this fight happens. If he were to destroy AA and get a highlight reel KO (which is plausible), his value will jump up drsticly, they will probably try and hedge the risk and sign him to an extention with a clause on his next win or loss.

either way i am sure netiher of them will not be wanted back to the UFC.