MMA Vera: Henderson, Silva and Sokoudjou turned down July 19 fight

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Atmosphere, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

http://mmajunkie.com/news/4797/vera-henderson-silva-and-sokoudjou-turned-down-july-19-fight.mma

Vera: Henderson, Silva and Sokoudjou turned down July 19 fight

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 14, 2008 at 11:01 am ET
    [​IMG]

Brandon Vera said Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva and Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou all turned down a July 19 fight with him, and after he turned declined a fight with Lyoto Machida, the UFC ultimately offered him UFC newcomer Reese Andy.

In a recent interview with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Vera confirmed that he turned down a UFC Fight Night 14 bout with Machida because he felt he needed more training time.

And though he wouldn't tell us which opponents turned down the fight with him, Vera finally spilled the beans to baltimoresun.com.

"They offered me Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Lyoto Machida and then Reese Andy," Vera told the website.

As for turning down the fight with Machida, Vera recently told MMAjunkie.com that it was a no-brainer. However, he didn't count out a future match-up with the famed Brazilian.

"For sure, I turned down the fight with Machida," Vera said. "Don't get me wrong. I'm down to fight Machida but not in my first time cutting down to 205 on four weeks' notice. I want to be ready for Machida. That bastard's good. I want to make sure I've got good sparring and a good game plan for Machida.

"Machida's not somebody you can just jump in the cage with and fight. I don't care who you are; if you think you can just beat Machida because you're tougher than him, he's probably going to whoop your ass. ... He doesn't go in to destroy people and finish them. Man, you can't hit him, and he just keeps touching you. People just get frustrated and pissed off. So, I did turn down the fight with Machida, but I'm down for sure to fight Machida, given good time."

Vera, who will compete at 205 pounds for the first time on Saturday, also told MMAjunkie.com that his move to a new weight class isn't necessarily permanent. He said he wants to return to the heavyweight class, especially for a rematch with Fabricio Werdum.

The two fighters met last month at UFC 85, and after Werdum rained down a series of unanswered blows, the fight was stopped with 20 seconds remaining in the first round. Vera claims it was a premature stoppage.

2. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

3. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

"They offered me Dan Henderson, Wanderlei Silva, Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou, Lyoto Machida and then Reese Andy," Vera told the website.

So the first three names turned him down, and then he turned down machida, and then settled on a fight with Andy?

Confusing.

But I dont blame any of the big name guys for turning down a fight on 4 weeks notice just because Dana White wants to try to screw over Affliction.

4. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

yeah, soko explained it was too last minute. it's a win-win situation IMO, as the UFC should build up Vera at LHW

5. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

he should fight Shanon Ritch

6. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i wisht hey would send him back to HW, he is unneeded at 205. Althoguth i would liek to see him beat Chuck before chuck is ancient.

7. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

he's too small as a HW though

8. brock3931

brock3931 OT Supporter

Reese is in a tight position. Unlike the other fighters mentioned, Reese hasn't had the opportunity of big time fights for the UFC. he was in a position where he pretty much had to say yes. Also, Reese may lose and he may lose big, but he isn't afraid to take a short notice fight. Gotta respect him for that. As for Reese helping Dana screw Affliction, that is bullshit. Dana would have had another fight anyway. So is Anderson a yes man?

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Gotta respect the cajones Vera has though, willing to fight Wandy, Soko or Hendo short notice. Also gotta respect his smarts for ducking a short notice fight with Machida. Couldnt agree with him more that you can fight a brawler short notice but need to train a long time on a game plan to fight someone like machida.

10. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

I wonder what he'll look like at 205.

11. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

sounds like every one turned him down for the same reason he turned machida down ...

12. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

I like vera he seems like a funny guy but I dont understand the hype he hasnt impressed me :dunno:

13. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

i think half of the hype is because of who he trains with, and the regards so many people give him. Randy had high praises for his greco roman, he is a disciple of Rob Kaman, Lloyd Irvin sings crazy praises of him. Just from the people he trains with and the words they say about him you would think he is a contender for p4p best.

Unfortunately it just hasnt panned out.

The hype makes sense, him not living up to it doesnt make sense. :(

14. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

I made a thread about him ducking machida a while ago and one of your bastards told me to go back to sherdog :fawk2:

but I did have that really gay picture in that thread too so its ok :)

15. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

So in other words trains like Tarzan fights like Jane.

16. Ghost of Swayze

Ghost of Swayze Ofcourse you mad

I was really impressed when he fought big tim. Hung in the fight with a devasting injury.

17. Khaaz

Khaaz New Member

He looked awesome in his fights in the past. The only fights he hasn't impressed in, were his last 2. The tim sylvia fight he broke his hand early on in the fight and he was fighting a guy MUCH bigger than him who wasn't able to do anything but lean on him for a few rounds to get the win. His last fight against Werdum he was looking kinda shitty but the referee robbed him of his chance to prove himself.

I can't wait to see Vera fight again, especially at 205 which seems to be a muccchhh better weight class for him. He just liked to stay at HW so he didnt have to cut weight and could eat whatever he wants; but being at 205 should force him to really get serious and start training harder.

18. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

He hadnt fought anyone decent until those last two fights his biggest test up until then was an out of shape pretty ordinary looking Frank Mir. Still hasnt done anything to impress me. I would love to see him do well at 205 as he is obviously talented and entertaining.

19. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

Why Reese Andy? I guess Marvin Eastman was not available?

20. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Reese has legit top shelf wrestling skills

don't be surprised if Vera takes another L and whines about it

21. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

:ugh:

22. Sammo

Sammo New Member

[​IMG]

23. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I mean it

24. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

god forbid he said that his early stoppage was early. my god. what a whiner.

25. Sammo

Sammo New Member

I don't think he was really covering up well when mounted

I think a better example would be when Tito was mounted by Randy, it never really looked like Tito was getting hurt