A&P Venus anyone?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EWhytsell, Feb 25, 2009.

1. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Venus is approaching a close distance from earth soon and is an easy target to fine/photograph. Anyone wanna see what they can get with a lens? Its the really freaking bright star in the high west after sunset for the next couple months.

When photographed it should look like a crecent moon. I'll probably get a few shots of it with some lenses and my scope. Just mentioning it in case any of you wanna give it a try. Now all I need is clear skies.

2. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

i got a shot of it the other day when i was on the lookout for lulin, 85mm isn't quite enough reach :mamoru:

3. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Yeah 85mm might just barely make out the crecent shape later in the spring when its most pronounced. At that time if you had near perfect vision you should be able to see the shape unaided.

4. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

pretty incredible how bright it gets... it actually leaves shadows on the ground.. I'm hoping to capture that tonight by going out and taking a decently long exposure with it in the background, with some trees in the foreground..

we'll see

5. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I would like to see a shot of it :cool:

6. alovell

alovell Active Member

In for one of these eventually.

7. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Yes, for comparison the full moon has an average brightness of magnitude -8 and Venus at its brightest can get to mag -6. The brightest star in the northern hemisphere is Sirius at mag -2 and most other very bright stars are between mag 1 and mag -1. Hehe very old brightness scale and doesn't seem quite right I know. The Sun is mag -24 so don't look at it to long :rofl:

8. adamlewis88

adamlewis88 New Member

Did you get a picture of that super rare comet that came through the other night? I heard a bunch of people talking about it and going crazy over it. I dont know anything else though...

9. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

There is a comet that is getting pretty close to earth now, but its visible in the early morning hours now and I don't do mornings. I'll just wait a couple months and maybe get a shot of it when its on its way back out past the asteroid belt. Comets aren't really that interesting through large telescopes anyway and really look best through small scopes or binoculars.

10. MawcDrums

MawcDrums Active Member

:werd:

Comets stay in the sky for months... No big rush to get them photographed.. it will probably get brighter and more impressive as time goes by anyways..