vegetarian muscles?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by pringlesuck, Nov 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pringlesuck

pringlesuck New Member

anyone here trying to get "lean" on vegetarian diet? i have started to workout for the last 4months and lost about 15lbs.

my goal is to have triathelete physique...

anyone has an idea for proper diet. i am 155 @5'9

i take supplement whey protein and daily vitamins

2. Damnation

Damnation OT Supporter

there's better diets, dude. like, ones that don't make you wanna kill yourself.

it would make sense if you WERE a vegetarian, but only doing it to diet is dumb :hs:

3. TZ

TZ Banned

I actually read on some message board of a vegetarian guy who could bench 400 for reps :eek4:

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

twice a week steak cheat meals.

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

we're at the top of the food chain for a reason

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

It won't be easy.

My g/f has been doing the vegetarian thing for about a month now and has been getting more out of shape than before because of a lack of protein in the diet and excessive carbs in the diet to keep her full.

Being a vegetarian while being a student is a bad idea.

7. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

bill pearl is a vegetarian

[​IMG]

8. TZ

TZ Banned

Damn, he looks like 50 years old too :mamoru:

9. pringlesuck

pringlesuck New Member

i am NOt vegetarian because of dieting. i turned vegeboy about 10yrs ago. i am not a vegan.

10. giz

giz Active Member

That's what I came here to say.

11. giz

giz Active Member

:hsugh:

He won Mr. Universe in 1953 at the age of 23. He didn't become a vegetarian until age 39.

12. TZ

TZ Banned

how old is he actually?

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Won't be easy. If it's a matter of principle then stick with it. Just make sure you get enough calories. Caloric intake is the only problem you'll face as long as you're taking whey protein sectioned out through the day (don't drink 3 60g protein shakes, drink 6 30g, etc)

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

lots of whole grain bread and peanut butter is a good idea. Hopefully you won't get sick of it after a few weeks.

15. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

1 vegetarian success story does not a good diet make.

I think I said that correctly. :o

16. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i think Jack La Lanne is a vegetarian as well and that guy is still in great shape in his 90's, but there is no way i'd do that diet personally, me loves the beef and chicken.

17. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

I'm a vegetarian and have been for 9 months. I have become involved in my health and fitness during that time, with emphasis on weight loss for the last 1.5 months.

A word of protein - outside of body building sites and this forum, people don't really believe that you need 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight. Everything I have read for general nutrition rates it more like .8 grams of protein per KILOGRAM of body weight. For me (6'1", 215 lbs), that comes to something like 60 grams a day.

Just make sure you are eating a variety of foods and reaching your energy (caloric) goals. Energy comes before anything. As long as you are eating many kinds of food (not just potatoes and beans or something), you are going to get plenty of protein. Protein is the number one fear of vegs, yet almost all of us get plenty of it as long as our diet is good.

I would recommend that you eat plenty of whole grains and legumes (dried beans). A lot of vegetarians (like myself when I began) too often try to supplement their protein by using dairy and eggs in lieu of meat.

I'm not saying be vegan, but avoid this. Dairy and eggs (at least the yolks) have lots and lots of saturated fat and cholesterol. Eat it from time to time, go with the nonfat stuff, but don't overdo it. Your food should primarily come from the earth.

Something else I recommend - eat as much whole foods as possible. Less processed for a vegetarians is a good thing, because processing often messes up the amino acids you need to gain proteins.

You are lucky in that you are short. Depending on your workouts, your caloric needs aren't going to be ridiculous. I work out rather intensely for 1 hour 6 days a week - with my height, even losing weight, it is tough to get the calories I need.

That being said - I am losing weight very well, and with 3 days a weak lifting, I am seeing some tone as well. I have no desire to be broly - only fit. I don't need cut or major tone, I just don't want to be fat anymore, but it is working for me.

Here is an example of a day of food and exercise for me:

Morning: Wake up at 6 AM - eat a bowl of oatmeal and an apple.

Workout for an our (MWF, run, TTHSA lift with light cardio)

Directly after workout - Clif bar or some other natural protein

Mid morning:
    Eat another meal of a grain or cereal with soy milk, rice milk, or organic milk, whichever I feel like. Or, on a lifting day, I eat nonfat yogurt with protein mixed in (make sure it is vegan whey - a lot of whey uses animal byproduct).

Work

Eat a good lunch - something like a wheat tortilla, hummus, a few slivers of avocado and tomato. Possibly a SMALL handful of almonds (lots of fat)

Mid afternoon - Snack of nonfat pudding, some fruit or veggies, something fibrous with beta carotene is good

Early evening - bbq tofu over stir fry and rice, black bean burrito, something healthy, you get the idea. A good meal.

Night - oatmeal again, or some vegetables that sound good, or some other good vegetarian snack.

I use Calorie King (well worth the 45 dollars) to keep track of my calories and nutrients. Like I said - it recommends I eat 145 grams of protein per day. I disagree. Everything I have read outside of body building literature states that you don't really need this much. Just make sure you vary your diet and meet your caloric goals, you'll be fine.

18. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

I can understand vegetarians, but hardcore vegans are BATSHIT FUCKING INSANE.

19. Elfling

Elfling New Member

-If you are working out at all, and to keep/build muscle, 1 gr/lb is the generally accepted minimum standard. Not merely for bodybuilding- for athletes of all sorts and casual exercisers.

-It is not your height that makes your calorie requirements high.

-soy sucks, in large quantities like it appears you're eating

20. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Let's not forget that those nutritional guidelines which favor low-fat/high-carb diet didn't stop the obesity and diabetes epidemic, it even got worse.

21. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

22. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

You are a grossly misinformed individual in many respects, but I will say this regarding protein consumption. I agree with the consensus here which is 1g/lb as the minimum, but most nutrionists recommend 1.5g/kg, which is still more than DOUBLE what you think is correct.

Regardless, it is accepted that athletes, (particularily endurance or strength building) need more protein than the average individual.

23. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Vince Taylor is 50 years old, and he finished 11th place at this years Mr. Olympia :dunno:
    [​IMG]

24. PlatinumX

PlatinumX OT Supporter

I've been a vegetarian all my life, not really for health reasons, I just find meat unappetizing. However, even though I dont eat the burgers and stuff, I eat a lot of Indian food and crap like veggie burritoes, quesadillas, etc that add a lotta fat to my diet. I'm 5'11" and about 192 lbs, and trying to lose like 15 pounds.

People are always surprised that I'ma vegetarian though, if only for the fact that I'm taller and heavier than they expect a vegetarian to be.:mamoru:

25. crown royal

crown royal Active Member

- :hsugh: Going with what I said. Outside of this site and body building periodicals, I have found nothing that supports more than 100 grams of protein per day. I'm not being closed minded - perhaps I just haven't found it. If someone could provide me with that information, I'd be glad to see it.

- Didn't mean to say that it did. It's more my body type, size, etc. A combo of stuff. I just mean to point out that I really wish my caloric intake could be smaller, but with my physical exertion per day, I am starting to get the idea of where it is. Hopefully it won't be a big deal as I earn more muscle and burn more efficiently.

- I am assuming by soy being bad that you are discussing isoflavones & phytoestrogens. The truth is that the studies on these foods are really in the last year or two, and that there is much debate on isoflavones and their effect on the body. I am slowly weaning off of predominantly soy products, for the mere fact that I want other nutrients in my body than just the soy protein.

That being said - I'd like to see more documentation on the so called 'detriments' of isoflavones. Much like I said above, I have done quite a bit of reading over the past several months and have found very little concrete evidence of soy's dangers.

Further - even if it does have drawbacks, I'll take the decades long research that shows that soy protein:

1) reduces risk for heart disease
    2) reduces risk for some forms of cancer
    3) that even if isoflavones turn out to be the bad boogey man that a few say it might be, I still like that prospect over high cholesterol and fat intakes.

I'd also be interested to know if the studies regarding isoflavones & phytoestrogens are being funded somehow by the meat 7 dairy industry. Soy is picking up on it's momentum, which is only going to hurt those industries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.