WEB vbulletin

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by autox, Dec 28, 2007.

1. autox

autox OT Supporter

Im thinking about buying vbulletin before the end of the year(tax purposes and sick of phpbb). Is it fairly easy to install? Say compared to installing wordpress how much harder is it? I want to put all of my phpbb users and posts into the new vbulletin forum as well.

2. Robb

Robb Guest

in for answer, i may splurge and buy a vbulletin license too

3. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

The Impex program will import everything from phpBB to vbulletin.

it's easy, well worth the $$. They have great support too if you're licensed.

4. wack0

wack0 New Member

vbulletin is the easiest thing in america

5. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

Go for it. vB's a damn fine product and it's easy to use and run.

6. JesterFX

JesterFX New Member

I've had nothing but problems trying to move a couple vb forums from someone else's server to my own. But most of it is just because I know nothing about databases and such. They are both still broken and have issues but seem to work. Those weren't even "conversions" from a different software...just moving a pre-existing user database and post to the new server lol. I am pretty sure it is almost entirely "user error" on my part and because of the way the previous owner left things though.

There are a ton of forums, including the vb official forums, where you can find people to help as well. I'm just too lazy and broke to pay someone to mine lol. Plus if they worked fine it would mean I would need to actually spend time building and promoting them lol.

7. sheep561

sheep561 OT Supporter

Installing is just as easy as installing phpbb and there should be a phpbb to vbulletin database converter.

Just checked. When you buy your license you get access to converters which you can download in the members section. The converter will make your database compatible with vbulletin so all users, threads, posts, etc will transfer over.

The only problem I see happening is with user passwords. Depending on the way phpbb handles passwords you might not be able to convert them over which would mean all of your users would have to use the "Forgot Password" feature to be able to login again. I'm pretty sure phpbb to vbulletin would convert user passwords over but you might want to ask on the vbulletin forums first if that would be an issue.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2007
  8. ROFLCORE

ROFLCORE Guest

Exactly this.

9. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

You will most likely have to have your users reset their password after the conversion, but be sure to let 'em know it's because you upgraded the forums to a more secure, stable, & feature-rich software blah blah blah & they shouldn't be too bothered by it.

But I definitely recommend it. vBulletin > * as far as forum software.

10. Vtec44

Vtec44 OG!

Installation is pretty simple, I moved from UBB.Classic a few years back and it was easy. Like others said, the impex script does most of the work. vB is extremely flexible, so it can be overwhelming at first. But, once if you've figured out the concept of things in the AdminCP then it's a piece of cake.

11. ROFLCORE

ROFLCORE Guest

brb, adding ads via admincp.

12. ba3698

ba3698 New Member

It's probably the same difficulty as installing wordpress... moving everything from your site to vb though might be hard

13. NavS

NavS its me!

Yes, it is very very good. I friggin converted over an InvisionFree forum, that shit was a couple hours of hell. but it actually went through smoothly when it came to vBulletin's part.

14. NavS

NavS its me!

Oh man, you will just love it for all the plugins are :bowdown:

15. Franchise

Franchise New Member

does anyone know a good WAP plugin for vBulletin? Maybe even the same one OT uses?

16. NavS

NavS its me!