VB6: we meet once again.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Feb 20, 2007.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Phew...I finally got Visual Studio 6 running on my main computer again. All I had to do was manually edit the Registry and change some bytes in the setup program. Yeesh. All that because of XP Service Pack 2.

But hey, at least I can put off learning .NET that much longer. Yay!

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Microsoft and their updates are pissing me off right now.
    I just did a fresh install of XP Pro. And now I can't watch youtube or google videos.
    And I've always been able to in the past with just the klite codec pack.

To make matters worse, I have some of the videos downloaded in flv format,
    and they play fine on my pc. Just not on the website.
    It used to be that all I had to do was have some of the activex controls, animations and videos
    turned on in internet options and my pc was good to go.

But now I can't get it to work. And I refuse to install flash player.

Oh well. I can still download them, and then watch them on my pc.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why would you not start to learn .net?

4. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

yeah .net VB is waaaayyy better. Better user interface and everything. More functions, alot more functions. When I did a project in .net then had to go back to vb6 i wanted to die.

5. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Speak English!

6. deusexaethera

When I was in college I had a semester-long work co-op assignment to convert a minefield-clearing simulation program for the Army from VB6 to VB.NET. At the end of the semester, I and the group of five other SE and CS majors I was working with had to concede that we couldn't convert the application.

We did manage to prove that it was feasible to rewrite the backend of the simulator in C++ and then migrate it to C#.NET (for which there is a MUCH better migration tool), while leaving the simulator's user interface in VB6 and having it call the backend DLLs. For the recommendation we got a fair grade, at least.

That, plus some subsequent attempts to do simple things like recolor pixels on a bitmap or build a design-time array of radio buttons on a form, have seriously soured my taste for VB.NET. I keep telling myself I need to learn .NET, but I keep coming up with ways to avoid it, so...:dunno:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

If you don't want to be left behind, I suggest you bite the bullet and learn .net.

.Net is only different because it take vb syntax and applies good programming methodology to it. VB6 is the cumulation of years of bad programming habits. .Net takes VB back to it's roots and makes it a "legit" language.

8. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

If I know C#, how hard is it to learn asp.net?

9. deusexaethera

Yeah...I know...I've also got a thing against the .NET framework in general -- I don't want to use the .NET API just to access the Windows API when I can just access the Windows API directly, though I guess eventually I won't have a choice.

It's true that VB6 allows a lot of weak code that VB.NET prevents, but really that's a matter of discipline -- ultimately it's always the credit or fault of the programmer when a program comes out well or poorly. The reason I like VB6 is because I can use the exact same language to bang out a cheap bit of code as easily as a shell script but more powerful, or to write an application that can run continuously for months with zero memory leaks. I'm kind of a stickler about user comfort, and I've always been very comfortable with VB. I'm bummed to see it go -- I'll never be able to write 64-bit code with it, after all.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I wouldn't want to. The multi-threading capabilities of VB6 were disgusting.

11. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

where have you been?

12. deusexaethera

I'll give it that. My approach to parallelism has always been to spawn multiple instances of the app (minus the GUI) and have the coordinator instance poke commands into each spawn's memory space. It's cheap, it works, and I've never really needed more than that.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

that's a wonderful example of the horrible code I was talking about earler... and that's a great way for a program to stop working on a new OS. Doesn't vista prevent this?

14. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Not hard. ASP.NET is basically the framework, and you'll be using C# as the language, so you just need to learn the ASP.NET classes, request flow, session, context, authentication, authorization, web controls, how to embed asp tags in the aspx files, blah blah!

15. deusexaethera

Like I said before, I completely agree that VB6 allows a lot of cheap code to be written, whereas VB.NET enforces a higher standard. However, that same higher standard is achievable in VB6 if you're willing to put in the effort. If I'm writing a quick tool to generate a title underline bitmap that fades from one color to another color (awfully specific example I know, but it's a real example), I don't want to have to write that code like I'm going to be storing medical records with it. VB6 gives me that option to choose how careful I want to be.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Actually, that is much, much, much more expensive than a thread for two reasons. One, windows makes threads much more cheaply than processes. Two, a thread to carry out one operation is much cheaper than an entire application process. Not to be a dick... there's already one in this thread but... no wonder you couldn't port the Army app?

17. deusexaethera

The parallel processes approach was cheap in terms of effort, not in terms of resources. It wasn't for public consumption, I just needed to take advantage of a quad-CPU server to get a few one-time processing tasks taken care of as fast as possible. Since I'll eventually have to switch to VS.NET, and since parallel computing is growing in popularity on the desktop, I'm sure I'll have the opportunity and motivation to learn how to write proper multithreaded apps in due course.

- - -

Considering there were 6 people in my work co-op team, four of whom were well-versed in VS.NET 2002, the issue was not my personal lack of experience but the fact that the VB6 version of the Army app was written without any commenting whatsoever -- there probably wasn't enough time in the semester to rewrite the code, to say nothing of having to reverse-engineer it first.

18. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I should make it clear that I have no idea what the fuck I'm talking about. I've never written a threaded application. With web services, I don't have to.

19. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

20. freshie

freshie New Member

i reinstalled them again after i did this and i once again was able to get on youtube, prior to that the page would half load(from the progress bar down below) but then stop, never got the page can't be found bs either

21. deusexaethera

Regardless of whether you were speaking from your experience or your ass, you're still right about processes being much heavier than threads; in Windows, almost every process has at least two threads, plus the extra memory management on the OS side needed to keep it in a separate space from other processes. Like I said, I just used multiple processes cause it was cheap and easy.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

easy, yes.... cheap, no. Very spending in terms of resources and speed.

23. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

whats a good book about that?