VB4 -> VB6 or will VB.NET work?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Astro, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

This is really just my lack of knowledge of the Visual Studio suite and all it has to offer... I've got a VB4 app that runs, but won't compile. It appears to be a VB4 issue so the simple solution is to get something newer, such as VB6. I see VB6 by itself is no longer offered. So I was talking to a kid at my college's computer store and he was telling me VB6 is integrated with .NET, although at the beginning on the phone call he was confused that Visual Basic v6 had actually once existed (am I THAT old?). So if I get VS.NET gear ($25 for 2003 and $30 for Pro), will I have to bend over backwards to persuade my VB4 app to run?

I figure someone here has "been there, done that"...

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

vb6 != vb.net

very different, might as well go C# (which is included in the VS.NET suite). vb6 is NOT integrated into vs.net, but it will try to convert the code for you, and which, in my experience, does a horrible job. Last time i saw your project it didn't look like you had a WHOLE lot of code already written, so that may be the way to go. The .NET stuff is awesome :)

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Code converting... Ugh...

I was afraid of that. I'd rather do C# then VB.NET. And you're right, my project doesn't have a lot of code to it. If it needs to be rewritten, it can be done. I'm just not looking forward to it.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

you CAN just download the free .NET SDK and compile it in the command line for free, but it's just easier to use the IDE, and it sounds like you get a pretty good deal on the academic version. What you might want to watch out for is the ability to compile and link in that version from your school. I know a buddy of mine had one of those academic versions and it wouldn't actually let him distribute the .exe so, just a warning. I'm sure your company would pay for the full version wouldn't they? Or they don't already have an MSDN license?

I know the .NET stuff pretty well, if you needed any pointers/help.

5. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

I love .Net , I work with asp.net and vb.net mainly.