VB & ACCESS & Security Issues

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by court-jester, Jan 18, 2003.

1. court-jester

court-jester I love dykes

i have an access database that i use in conjunction with my VB program. this DB is on the server at my office and the VB program resides on the client computers and accesses the database from the server...the vb program is password protected so that various levels of staff see different things within this program depending on their level.

the problem: my database file resides on this server which is accessible thru the internal network by all client pc's ... any employee can access the server drive and copy the ms access database take it home and open it on their own access program and see all kinds of sensitive information about the company... how can i prevent this? i tried password protecting the ACCESS db but this doesnt seem to work the way i want i was wondering if there are ways so i can protect this file so no one can take it?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Have you looked at using workgroup files? That's pretty much the way to do it - but it's not super high security - it does work for the general population. The next step to avoid people from copying the database (which sucks since you need to give people write access to the drive), is to split the data that is important into different directories. For example if you were trying to not let other people see the "salary" table, you could put that table in a different db and a different directory that isn't accessible to lower level users.

3. 5Gen_Prelude

Of course the real solution is not to use Access though.

4. court-jester

court-jester I love dykes

would installing sql server on my win2k adv serever solve my dilema?

5. 5Gen_Prelude

pretty much