TAT vaseline

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by low20, Sep 13, 2005.

1. low20

low20 Member

i have heard soooo many different things, on here, other forums, and several tattoo artists, about what to use on your tattoo after you get it...I just got mine at a very reputable place and I was told to use vaseline on it for 2 weeks...someone else i know recently got one and used lubriderm for 2 weeks..others i know said they used A&D, and yet others used bacitracin or neosporin.

i was just reading up online ad it seems like every website says "DO NOT use Vaseline" so whats up? i heard it could pull the color out or something? Ive been using it on mine now for like 5 days....i hope im not killing it or making it fade....im thinking about washing all the vaseline off and switching to lubriderm now.

i need your opinions..i know its been discussed before but ease my mind again...was vaseline a terrible choice, or is it something that can fade the tat but something i also wont be able to notice....the place i went was very reputable etc so i know they cant be dead wrong...thanks

2. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

vaseline is petroleum based and plugs up your pores. this makes it so your skin cant 'breath' and that in turn causes prolonged healing and excess scabbing. we have problems at my shop where customers mistake vaseline intensive care hand lotion for vaseline. call your shop and be sure of what they told you. most reputable shops are telling people to use hand lotion or vitamin E cream now. it heals much better that way.

3. low20

low20 Member

thanks...i infact did ask right away, cause i know vaseline is pretty nasty stuff and i thought xactly that. she said use vaseline....just plain old vaseline...i know that years back that was pretty much the most popular and regular thing to use...well anyway, its been about 4-5 days now of straigh up vaseline...i make sure to wash it very good atleast 1 time a day and get all the vaseline off but pretty much right after my shower i lube it up again...can i just discontinue use of that right now? i can feel a little scabbing and its been itching a tad the past 2 days....if i stop using vaseline, what do you recommend..i know A&D has been recommended but i heard to use that fo the first few days and im already past that point..should i just use some plain old hand lotion from now on to keep it from drying up???

4. low20

low20 Member

im gettin pretty paranoid right now cuz i have OCD so i wanna jump in the shower right now and get that crap off i its gonna damage the tat...

5. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

plain non-scented hand lotion is fine. Keri, Curel, Intensive Care... something along those lines

6. sportsjunkie

sportsjunkie OT Supporter

just discontinue using vaseline and use a non fragrant white lotion, like lubriderm.

7. low20

low20 Member

cool..thanks...so gimme the truth...did i do possible damage to it or will it be fine? maybe just a bit faded? i go back in 3 months for a free touch up anyway

8. Buttons

Buttons OT Supporter

you may have drawn some of the ink out, nothing a small touch-up cant fix.

9. low20

low20 Member

cool thanks..i already took a shower and put on some lubriderm....feel much better now even though i really cant tell the difference haha...

thanks all.

10. chizzle

chizzle New Member

I've been using A&D for the past three days, when should I switch over to plain hand lotion?

I hate having to wrap my arm whenever I wear a tshirt b/c of this A&D ointment.

11. low20

low20 Member

when i was using the vaseline i didnt wrap it up or anything, but it was a gross feeling...hard to wrap ur back too lol

12. chizzle

chizzle New Member

Yea, that would definitely be gross.

13. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

I had to wrap my lower back and both shoulder... how much does that suck?

14. chizzle

chizzle New Member

How many days did u wrap until u moved to regular lotion?

15. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

I got them done before the whole lotion craze apparently. He told me to use bacitracin and wrap for 2 days.

16. BrokenHalo

BrokenHalo New Member

my last tattoo is 2 years old, btw

first one is almost 4

17. Dax420

Dax420 Guest

Vasiline = BAD BAD BAD
    Vasiline intensive care = GOOD

It's perfect for keeping a tat moist afterwards untill it heals