Various and sundry Linux aggravations.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Dec 15, 2005.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I'm using Ubuntu 5.10, an up-to-date Debian variant. It is installed on a hard drive partitioned 75% NTFS and 25% ReiserFS. I'm having some problems.

- Where can I get drivers that will allow Ubuntu to access the contents of the NTFS partition, even if only with read-only permission?

- How can I make Ubuntu auto-mount USB mass storage devices (memory keys, external HDDs, etc) as soon as they're plugged in?

- The OEM-supplied driver for the Xerox Phaser 6200DP printer I need to connect to causes the printer to spit out pages of ASCII gibberish. What am I doing wrong and how do I do it right?

- Where can I find a utility similar to Windows XP's Device Manager?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

1) All you need to do to access the NTFS partition is add it to your fstab. On the command-line, do:

sudo su
    (type your password)
    mkdir /mnt/windows
    cd /etc
    gedit fstab

Then add a line to the bottom:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/windows ntfs defaults 0 0

(assuming that your windows partition is at /dev/hda1, which it probably is).

2) I think Gnome does that automatically :dunno: I've never had a problem with it under Ubuntu/Gnome.

3) What language does the printer speak (postscript or PCL, or something else)? Try using the Generic PostScript or Generic PCL driver (I believe Ubuntu comes with both?)

4) There's the HAL device manager that's in your System menu. That's the closest thing I can think of.

3. deusexaethera

1. Thanks, I'll try that. I don't suppose there's a utility like Windows XP's Disk Manager that can do the job, is there?

2. Either it's not detecting the drive, or it's not mounting it, or I have no idea where to look for it. Linux can read FAT32, right? (hopeful look.) I'm such a linux noob.

3. I believe it is PostScript-compatible. I'll try the generic driver, if I can find it.

4. Yeah, I dunno. HAL wasn't very helpful. I couldn't fiddle with any settings at all, I could only see the list of devices.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  4. RyanL

RyanL OT Supporter

Linux can read and write fat32. Your ntfs partition may not be in a normal place for whatever reason. You might be able to find out where its at by opening up ubuntu's device manager (I forget what its called).

5. deusexaethera

Nah, it's the first partition on the drive and I did once get to view the contents of the ntfs partition in linux; I just can't remember how, and the icon to view the drive just pops up a box saying I don't have permission to view it.

6. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Ahh, right, that problem.

On the line I told you to add to fstab, replace defaults with:

uid=1000,gid=1000

That will make your regular user the owner of that when it's mounted (by default, it's owned by root).