Vanguard

Discussion in 'Online Adventures' started by dotcom, Jan 22, 2007.

1. dotcom

dotcom OT Supporter

Anybody going to be playing on launch? :noes:

2. flyin_gnome

flyin_gnome New Member

I was thinking about checking it out. Seems like it could have potential even though a lot of people are beginning to flame it after SoE took over...

3. dotcom

dotcom OT Supporter

game fucking rocks

4. Trina

Trina New Member

I heard from a friend of mine who's in beta that they totally revamped the exp system so that it takes exponentially longer to level up. And they had some other horrible changes.

He won't be playing beyond beta, and has told all of his friends not to waste their time.

5. flyin_gnome

flyin_gnome New Member

I dont see a problem with taking longer to level up. Then people wont be at the cap a week after release like some other mmo's.. I will probably still check it out might as well.

6. dotcom

dotcom OT Supporter

First day I got to 11 without much effort.

7. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

So what is everyone's impression of this game?

8. Twinturbos101

Twinturbos101 OT Supporter

9. dotcom

dotcom OT Supporter

I'm enjoying it. On the Flamehammer server if anybody is playing.

10. bloodred83

bloodred83 im in ur cost gard, savin' ur boatz

I only played it up to level 10 in beta 5 and I couldn't stand the low frame rate with moderate graphics settings. I have 2.25GB ram, 256mb ATI X800 card and an intel 3.0 processor. I'm sticking to wow and the expansion. My first impression of the game makes me think of EQ/EQ2 and WoW blended all together.

The low frame rate could have just been the beta servers, but meh I don't really feel like starting a whole new MMORPG and leaving all my guildies back in WoW. Besides the burning crusade is rad times!

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

No...if SOE is anywhere near this game, I"m out. They showed just how much they respect their community (NONE) with SWGalaxies. If you don't know what they did, well you should look into it.

Basically a year after release....maybe 2, they completely changed the game so everything people had been working on was gone. No warning, no discussion, no surveys of their current user base to see if they were even interested in such changes....just boom...here's a whole new and different game. Not only that, they implemented these changes like a week or 2 after an expansion pack had been released.

SOE has admitted they made HUGE mistakes with this game. That's fine, I can forgive mistakes but they haven't changed anything back. So it doesn't really appear that they are sorry about the affect on the players, they are simply sorry because they aren't making more money.

No...SOE has zero credibility with me and I won't ever play another game from them.

12. flyin_gnome

flyin_gnome New Member

I downloaded the game from Direct2Drive last night, and will be logging on today after I get off of work. I will check out Flamehammer. Just looking for something different than wow for a while. Personally never really cared for it.

13. Alenon12

Alenon12 Save the cheerleader....save the world

SIGIL is running the show as far as PR is concerned. In all my gaming ive never seen dev's communicate so well with the players. Brad and the other devs have been active daily on fan forums such as gu comics, wtfcomics, vanguardlive, vanbard, and the safehouse; which any that played eq1 would know many of those forums as highly active MMRPG forums. I've seen brad on gucomics many times asking questions and answering concernes from the player base to tailor the game to what the masses want to play. And that is an extreme non-WoW type game. That's what they made it and that's why i love it.

I dont want to be able to dish out 4 lvls a day with ease, i dont want to play instances that anyone can do anytime they feel. I dont want to be able to solo all the way to 60 and totally defeat the whole purpose of "Massive multiplayer" (go play fable for god sake).

I want to have trouble lvl'ing, i want to be punished when i die so maybe im a bit less stupid when adventuring in unknown areas. I want to race to a mob and actually feel the thrill/defeat when going for a mob or raid target. WoW to me seemed the least interactive MMRPG i've ever played. where it almost wants you to play solo rather than with people. EQ1 forced you to interact and that's the whole point of a MMRPG and that's what i want.

Now you can solo in VG but you wont be able to solo the whole way up or rather if you do you're going to find yourself limited and slow in the lvling. 60% of the game is based on grouping with 20% solo and 20% (for now) raid content. Personally its exactly what i expected/wanted of a RPG. havnt enjoyed gaming this much since eq1.

14. dotcom

dotcom OT Supporter

I just got 15 !

15. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

So I have an AMD athalon 64 3000, 1 gig ram, and a tweaked nvidia 6800

Is there any point to me buying this game? I can run Age of Empires 3 in 1900x1440 at like 25 FPS

16. PaddoK

Hey if someone has one of those free trial keys, can they hook an OTOG up?

17. dotcom

dotcom OT Supporter

my buddy plays on a amd 3000 with a 6600gt but on the lowest setting. Honestly though... I have a amd 4200+ X2 7800GT 2gb of ram and I run it on the lowest settings as well and get pretty much same fps. It does not look that great but its a really fun mmo. I think once they get a few more patches in it will be perfect.

18. Alenon12

Alenon12 Save the cheerleader....save the world

if someone hasnt sent you one by my lunch ill send ya one

With your settings you should be decently ok, wont be able to turn it way up tho.
    Im playing 1690X1050 using a amd 3700 with 2 gigs ram and also a tweaked 6800. Im able to go about 50% settings and run 20 fps. Even at 50% settings though my roomate who play's WoW Was blown away.

19. PaddoK

Damn that would be awesome. I'm and old school MMOer. I played Ultima Online before T2a, and EQ1 since launch all the way up to velious. I've tried a bunch of others but none have really got me like those old days, not even WoW.

I don't know if you need it, but my email is paddok @ gmail . com

20. dotcom

dotcom OT Supporter

I dont have one or I'd give ya one. It reminds me so much of old skool eq. :bowdown: :bowdown:

21. PaddoK

Damn well if this game is as good as you say it is, I can certainly get my good friend who played eq and uo with me into it as well.

22. Telados

Telados This is Me in 16-bit

This game is crazy good.

They fixed the server/lag issues pretty quickly and the UI which was pissing people off.

Its true, the game was probably rushed out before it was ready for whatever rason, but the improvements are still coming in, and pretty quickly.

The remaining beef i have is character animations - the world scenery/monster looks AMAZING - like AMAING as in like omfg let me trek to the top of the mountain jsut so i cna get a view AMAZING like.

but yea - fcking beef up teh character models - other than that

frikn ridiculous!!!!

23. dotcom

dotcom OT Supporter

Everyday they are patching it. I'd say within 2 months it will be almost perfect.

24. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

heard the same with SWG, EvE Online, WOW, EQ2 and everyother MMORPG manufacturer on the market. WoW has more money to spend then all the other MMO companies combined and they still have bugs/balance issues.

No game will ever be perfect.

25. flyin_gnome

flyin_gnome New Member

I really enjoy the game thus far. I think that they did a great job. I am running the game on High settings, not very high but with HDR/Bloom turned on and at 1280x960.

My computer is nearly a year old now... AMD 3800+ 1gig 3200 ram and an nVidia 7800GT Overclocked. Runs smooth for me. I will probably upgrade to 2gigs soon and see if it will run any smoother on the highest settings.