MMA Vancouver City Council voting next week on sanctioning MMA events!

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by EG6, Mar 19, 2009.

1. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

[​IMG]

Surrey-based MMA fighter Kalib Starnes (middle row, 4th from left) and the team of fighters at Suitela Fitness and Self Defense Centre pose for a photo after a typically gruelling training session.
    Photograph by: Jenelle Schneider, Vancouver Sun

Vancouver city council will debate next week whether to allow the city’s athletic commission to sanction controversial Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighting events.

A report from the Vancouver’s chief license inspector to be discussed next Thursday highlights a need for clarity as to whether the hugely popular combat sport is allowed within the city.

The Vancouver Athletic Commission (VAC) allowed five MMA events before city council in 2007 told the commission to temporarily cease sanctioning the fights.

"Based upon the violent nature of the sport and in light of the growth in its popularity resulting in more requests being received by the VAC to hold MMA Events in Vancouver, the VAC and City Staff are seeking Council’s direction as to whether MMA Events are to be within the Commission’s mandate,” reads the report.

The report notes the sanctioning MMA events would increase the VAC’s workload but the organization could also collect “very significant” gate fees from events.

Richmond-based mixed martial arts instructor Mark Bishop of Urban Rebel MMA is happy to hear the issue is back on council's agenda.

"Financially, it would be a huge boost to the economy," said Bishop. "It would give an outlet to a lot of very bored youth who are looking for choices other than hockey or fighting in the street."

Bishop trains classes of children, teenagers and adults in the sport, which combines elements of boxing, wrestling, jiu-jitsu and kickboxing.

According to the council report, the Vancouver police department is concerned that if the VAC doesn’t regulate the fights they will happen anyway underground.

Considered one of the fastest growing spectator sports, it is sanctioned in 38 U.S. states as well as Canadian cities like Calgary, Edmonton and the province of Quebec.

Chilliwack-based fight promoter Paul Daniel of ValleyFight started running fight cards on first nations reserves when Chilliwack council banned MMA from public buildings in the area. Despite being forced to essentially go underground, his events have drawn sell-out crowds on a constant basis and been lauded by fighters for putting fighter safety and security ahead of profits.

When asked if regulation of MMA in Vancouver would see his company looking to promote regular events downtown, Daniel replied, "Short answer: Yes."

He's not alone. Florida-based MMA promoter John Prisco of the Xtreme Fighting Championships regularly draws crowds of 10,000 plus to his XFC events. He recently told The Sun that if local authorities cleared the regulation hurdle, his group would be very interested in looking at promoting cards in the area.

"We're always looking for places to expand our reach," said Prisco, "and Vancouver fight fans are the kind of audience you'd like to be working with. It's obviously not something you do overnight, but if the commission up there needed help with rules and best practices, we'd be very enthusiastic about flying up and working with them. We did just that recently in Tennessee, and the state recently approved the sport there as a result."

The XFC's first card in Tennessee drew a crowd of 5,200 and received glowing reviews in the press.

Although MMA began as a “raw fringe sport,” the report says, many regions have adopted rules to protect athletes, such as time limits, weight classes, safety procedures, and prohibiting things such as head butts, biting and eye gouging. An April 2008 UFC event in Montreal drew 21,000 people and was seen by 500,000 people on pay-per-view.

[email protected]

http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/...cil+vote+looms+money+sport/1403304/story.html

:bowdown:
    :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

Their reason is the sport is "extremely popular" but that's bullshit. They just want the money that comes from all the events that would be held here. MMA was just as popular a couple of years ago before they stopped sanctioning them. Either way I'm happy as hell and hope they allow it.

UFC here we come :x::x::x:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
  2. machine

machine Welcome to the Machine OT Supporter

Hope this goes though. I'd be stoked.

3. roose

roose Guest

Nice!

4. Poppa Large

Poppa Large New Member

Richmond considers it too violent, hopefully the Vancouver council can see what mma has become and not what it was in the early UFC events.

5. Redneck Shinobi

Redneck Shinobi Well Jules, the funny thing about my back is that

How does a city full of Chinese hate Martial arts? I find that hard to believe. Who gives a fuck what Richmond thinks, where are they gonna host it? the Olympic Oval?

6. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

thats because richmond is full of chinese people and generally speaking most chinese people are conservative and don'tlike this shit

even my dad thinks its really violent but i've been watching it for years now so he's gotten use to it

7. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

we all know and love it as mixed martial arts but to most people they just think its like a giant free for all

its quite sad how people are so ignorant and uneducated about it

i told my coworkers a couple of months back that i was starting jiu jitsu and its the ground submission stuff you see in mma and they all gave me the :ugh: look

8. Redneck Shinobi

There is like 10 billion old Chinese in the malls doing "tai chi" every morning. I doubt they dislike fighting. Then again my gf's mom dislikes it, but will flock to the latest Martial arts flick. Fuck have you tried to see a martial arts movie when it opens in riverport? good fucking luck.

San Shao or however it's spelt is pretty fecking violent and is also Chinese. It's only a minute long round but people throw more punches/kicks since it's a shorter span.

9. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

I know what you mean. My ex's grandfather is a tai chi grandmaster. he has tai chi masters all over the world that learned their shit from him. He went back to Hong Kong a couple of years ago and about 20-30 of his students threw him parties and dinners the entire time he was there hahaha.

The problem with San Shao and Tai Chi is the fact that they're seen as "traditional" martial arts. MMA will always have the stigma of fighters from UFC 1 lol

10. Kuet

Kuet New Member

fuck yes. And fuck kalib starnes- looks like he is with another team?

11. Poppa Large

Poppa Large New Member

They were thinking of hosting events at river rock.

12. Redneck Shinobi

Everything has to have a beginning. China was a country that had "mixed martial arts" in it's history. Hell even Fearless was based off a real life guy who pitted his abilities against other styles and nationalities. Japan also had similar things so it's not a new idea to the asian market.

13. damiand

damiand Proceed

Jesus, UFC in Van City would be epppic. The upside too would be that there be more fights in the stands, then on the card.

14. Mega-JC: Da Return

Mega-JC: Da Return Tiger Knee!

I'd drive to van for some UFC action :bowdown:

15. roose

roose Guest

Vancouver fans are all retarded. Our hockey fans are some of the worst in the league.

Plus there'd be a thousand gang bangers in the arena. Shootings galore. :noes:

16. CRaiNK

CRaiNK ЧЕМПИОН

in4UNshootingGANGstyle@ UFC

17. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

Are you saying vancouver is dangerous and or crazy?

18. Redneck Shinobi

I moved away from Toronto because of all the shootings and now Vancouver is the murder capital of Canada, so yes it's dangerous and crazy and I'll be called a racist if I say why. All I'll say is fuck Surrey!

Roose is right about the canuck fans. I am a Maple leafs fan and not a hardcore one at that, but I've been following them since I was a kid and people out here loathe them. The Canucks have had way worse seasons, but everytime I try to talk to my friends who are canuck fans, I might as well not, because it's basically just how badly can I put down the leafs convo.

Fuck even when I lived out east and I hate the Senators, but at least we could have civil conversations... Fuck the canucks, I hope they are never successful. Hell my best friend is a Sens fan, and we get along just fine talking about hockey.

19. Kuet

Kuet New Member

lately. This you guys have to realize is a nicer city- ( voted top 3 cities to live in the world by the United Nations for last 5 years something like that ) per capital we have some fucked up shit going on right now in the city, pretty much all out gang shooting in broad daylight on main public roads...

I think since jan 20 weve had something like 35 shootings and like 15 deaths??
    Thats an estimation but its pretty close....

20. Kuet

Kuet New Member

and Vancouver fans are horribly fickle when it comes to the canucks- of course everybody and their dog is a fan right now.....

21. damiand

damiand Proceed

Nah, I feel pretty safe here, but the attitude you get from some people here is reeeeediculous. Its tough guy tuesday everyday of the week, cool bros try to start shit all the time. Look at the fireworks, half the people are baked as fuck and thers still dozens of fights.

22. damiand

damiand Proceed

Fuck the Canucks, there going to blow it just like every other year.

23. Redneck Shinobi

That's probably because of the Alcohol and not the weed, brah.

24. damiand

damiand Proceed

I know, thats what I posted, brah. :wiggle:

Been ridin the ganja bus this weekend?

25. Redneck Shinobi

:bowdown:

:420: of course