GUN value of Colt 1911?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by apman0000, Apr 6, 2010.

1. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

from the serial number it was built between 1915 - 1918

pretty damn good condition for it's age;

grips aren't original, they're old but probably from the 70's

slight wear on finish from being stored in an old military leather holster for decades

original barrel has very minor pitting

other than that this thing is in great shape

I know i got a great deal cause i paid what i felt was next to nothing for it

anyone know a good site to look up value on this sort of thing without paying for a subscription service?

(paid $400 in case you were wondering or gave a shit lol, got the holster as well, looks like korean war ish era military)

2. fuckyou/payme

fuckyou/payme Harley|OTSS|Gun|Philly|KC |Yuengling|SCUBA| crew OT Supporter

I'll give you 450.
    I can be there around 9 am tomorrow.

3. Nom

Nom Banned

4. Carl Brutananadilewski

Carl Brutananadilewski Active Member

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

lol, no i think i'll be keeping it for awhile
    :)

6. fuckyou/payme

fuckyou/payme Harley|OTSS|Gun|Philly|KC |Yuengling|SCUBA| crew OT Supporter

7. beetle

beetle blah blah blah OT Supporter

really tough to value without more information/pictures. but the following information might be helpful.

according to the Standard Catalog of Military Firearms (2010 edition)

A colt built between 1915-1918 should have a serial number between 107,597-594,000.

The finish should be a dull blue, not parkerized (grey).

Slide should be marked "Model of 1911 U.S. Army"

Magazine should be two-tone, in that the bottom half is blued, but the top half is silver.

If this sounds similar to what you might have, the book lists the value as the following:

poor: $1100
    Fair: $1500
    Good: $1800
    Very Good: $2500
    Excellent: $3800

all kinds of things will affect value -- if the gun has been re-blued, re-arseneled, etc. Also will need to confirm if all of the parts are original or if the gun has been "sporterized". For example, the barrel should be marked "H P" or "P H".

In any regards, really can't go wrong for $400. And if the above information matches I'd post detailed pics of it at 1911forum.com in the "USGI" section for an assessment from the experts over there.

:bigthumb:

8. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

the serial # is in the 170,000's the finish is a dull blue
    the magazine must not be original it's all dark, no silver
    I'm not sure but from the condition of the finish and how i know it's spent the last 40 years (in an old man's leather holster not fired much, not fired at all for well over a decade while he was living with her) the daughter of the old fella who owned it sold it to me. she was a sr citizen so her deceased father had to be well in his 80's.

it seems pretty untouched, he aparently hadn't cleaned it after he shot it god knows how long ago which explains the condition of the barrel once i got it cleaned out, not as bad as i was expecting to be honest, but it's not good, but it's the only part of the gun that isn't in good condition.

i knew i couldn't miss at that price, for once in my life i didn't try to get her down on price, she wanted $400, i handed over the money and rushed home to clean it up and stare at it :)

with the values you posted i'm giggling right now, cause other than the magazine apparently being not original (it is marked colt 1911 on the bottom and isn't anywhere near new, but it isn't how you described it should be so it must have been replaced but it's still an old mag) and the grips aren't original, but the finish is in good condition, minor wear on the finish, considering it's age anyway, it's definately been used over the years not NIB condition, but other than the inside of the barrel there is 0 corrosion inside or out.

hehehehehe, now i'm excited. i don't think i could bring myslef to sell it though even at a huge profit, i fucking dig this thing. and it'll probably sit next to my other 1911 (which is only a couple decades old, no big deal) in my safe.

:)

thanks for the info, it's extremely helpful

9. beetle

beetle blah blah blah OT Supporter

sounds like you found a winner! Congrats! Post some pics, would love to see it.

also go check out the 1911 forum, I thought I saw some period correct grips for sale.