GUN Va Governor wants stricter gun laws

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, May 24, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

www.examiner.com/a-743269~Kaine_wants_lawmakers_to_change_Va__s_gun_laws.html

Kaine wants lawmakers to change Va.’s gun laws

May 23, 2007 8:34 AM (8 hrs ago)
    by Joe Rogalsky, The Examiner

Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine, center, addresses the first session of the Virginia Tech Review Panel in Richmond, Va., Thursday, May 10. Virginia Tech president Charles Steger is seated left as the eight-member panel studying the shooting rampage held its first public meeting. On Tuesday, Kaine said he is hopeful the General Assembly will overcome its affection for firearms and adopt changes to the commonwealth’s gun and ammunition laws.

Virginia Gov. Timothy M. Kaine, center, addresses the first session of the Virginia Tech Review Panel in Richmond, Va., Thursday, May 10. Virginia Tech president Charles Steger is seated left as the eight-member panel studying the shooting rampage held its first public meeting. On Tuesday, Kaine said he is hopeful the General Assembly will overcome its affection for firearms and adopt changes to the commonwealth’s gun and ammunition laws.

Kaine would not discuss specific changes he would like to see or legislation he thinks would be palatable to the General Assembly. Though Northern Virginia legislators tend to support stricter gun-control bills, lawmakers from more rural and conservative regions routinely defeat such legislation.

A bill to ban guns in libraries, for example, was quickly killed in a House of Delegates committee this year.

Kaine already has issued an executive order requiring that law enforcement receive additional mental health information about individuals applying for a permit to carry a concealed weapon. Beyond that, he said Tuesday, he will wait for recommendations from a panel investigating the massacre in which a gunman killed 32 students and faculty members before committing suicide.

“The recommendations should be ready in August, and that will give legislators plenty of time to look at the suggestions and talk to members of the commission,” the governor told reporters. “We don’t go back into legislative session until January, so there’s a lot of time to work on this. I think we can get something done.”

In general, Kaine said, he is troubled that Virginia law allows any individual to stockpile ammunition with no way for authorities to monitor the cache. Seung-Hui Cho, the Virginia Tech gunman, began his rampage with 377 rounds of ammunition, according to police. He also said college presidents and police chiefs have told him that allowing students and faculty to carry weapons on campus “would be a disaster.”

State law allows institutions of higher learning to decide whether to allow firearms on campus and inside buildings. A pro-gun student group has recently formed at George Mason University to advocate for a change in school policy and state law.

“We need the legislature to step in and tell the institutions of higher learning they have to allow law-abiding, licensed citizens to carry their weapons,” said Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League.

The governor was in Manassas to attend a ceremony at the site of the new state crime laboratory.

[email protected]

So 377 rounds of ammo is a stockpiled cache? What would they call my stash :noes:

2. mvizos

mvizos New Member

well, he'll make a lot northern VA really happy with more gun control. Which would be my final motivation to move to WV.

edit: and if 377 is a stockpile, well, I don't even know what they'd call my couple thousand rounds of 7.62x39 :run:

3. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

I shoot more than that on an average trip to the range.:noes:

4. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Will this spell the end of the 550 round bulk pack?:run:

5. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

I have close to that actually in mags right now.

6. t1h

t1h Guest

lol you can order 1000 round cases from CMP, and thats a government formed non-profit :mamoru:

7. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

They do know that you can pick up 500+ round boxes from wally world, right?

8. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: for less than $10, too!

9. Werm

Werm Guest

377 rounds? I buy more then that everytime I go out shooting... I'd say around 500-600 is "average"

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I only do 200 a month :hs:

11. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

This better not happen, or I'm moving to NC. I love VA, but I hate the Communistwealth government.