v8 swap in 94+ S10

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by olddohc, Dec 2, 2002.

1. olddohc

olddohc Guest

I am coming from imports and dont know dick about domestics. I recently bought an S10 and am interested in putting a v8 in it. I heard that you could put a new vette motor in it(ls1), but right now i dont have that kind of money. Whats up with crate motors, can i use a stock s10 tranny, do they bolt up, do i need a mount kit, wiring problems, anything at all will teach me more than i know cuz i dont know $hit. Thanks

2. Wolvrin704

Wolvrin704 Guest

Don't know allot about it but I imagine you would need a tranny that handle that much power. I really doubt the stock S10 tranny could handle it. But I could be wrong. Frog may know more since thats what hes planning on doing to his as well. Also I'd say you would need the computer and wiring harness to go along with it.

3. Supernoma

Supernoma servus publicae OT Supporter

Well, there is a couple of alternative for you.
    You can go with a carbed V8, not even worry about the enginer computer, you can get a V8 from a full-size truck (cheapest FI V8, too). You could get an older LT1 V8, middle of the road expense, 300HP stock. LS1, the baddest of all 350HP, but upwards of 7000 for a crate engine.

The standard 4sp auto is common in all GM RWD applications, IE the tranny in the S10 will handle a V8, but the smart money would put some into beefing up the tranny.

If you need more into I suggest checking out www.s-series.org
    They are the GM mid-size truck authority.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2002
  4. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

also, www.s10v8.com

you will need a new tranny in some cases, but if you don't NEED one, it's a good idea to build it up. even a new one could use some building up sometimes. you can get a crate fuel-injected GM 350 for $2K or less. the other thing to consider is wiring, emissions, the rear-end, tires, cooling, exhaust, fuel delivery, and brakes to make sure your truck can handle the power of the 350. it's an undertaking, but not at all impossible. if you have to meet emissions requirements, stick with a fuel-injected engine. if not, go for whatever. you might also check out a 327, but i'm not sure what they go for. i believe the current vortec 327's put out more than the old injected 350's did. also, if you've got money to burn, you could always get anything in there you want. the LS-6 isn't impossible to do, as chevy showed with the concept arriba blazer. 405 HP. and, as lingerfelter has shown, a twin turbo big block will fit too.

5. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

ok first go to www.jtr.com buy book

read book

book will tell you tranie needs to be modified but will ahndel teh vd you will need to build motor mounts if its a 4x4 you will neeed a custom oil pan as far as engines id go with a tpi motor might no thave th most power but it will make the swap easier

you will need to kotch the crosmeber cut and pound ome stuff under teh hood re work the steering linkage alittle buy a corvet radiator find some way to get a fan in there and good luck with AC but i want one bad

i think im going to buy an old 2wd s10 slam it and put a carbed small block in it

6. AggieZR2

AggieZR2 Now AggieZQ8

A V8 swap in a new model S10 isn't an easy or cheap task. Lots of things have to be modified to make it work. There is an engineer for GM on ZR2.com with me that has swapped in an LS1 into his, and he is moving up to a LS1 based 427 out of a C5R after the new year. If you want to check it out or find out some info there is a vast amount of info on the site. Just search for it and you should find some stuff.

7. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

easiest and cheapest is a carbed 350 crate
    next best is a Vortec 5.7 out of a full size
    Lt1 is tricky but cheaper and ALOT easier than a Ls1

and depending on what year you have and what motor will determine what to do with your tranny/cooling/accesories.

www.s-seriesforum.com

8. slowrado

slowrado OT Supporter

easy swap, any SBC will fit, good luck finding traction:bigthumb:

9. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

4x4

10. olddohc

olddohc Guest

whats an sbc

11. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member