v6 Mustang Help Please

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Rampage575, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

I own a 2000 v6 mustang. Its a manual and ive not done much to the cars engine at all. The reason is i'm not sure where to start. I want to get the most horsepower for the cheapest (doesn't everybody). I'm willing to spend around 400-500 bucks or so but i'm not sure what to get.

I'm wondering if getting a cold air intake off ebay for $70 bucks would do the same as a $190 mac cold air intake system.

Besides getting a cold air intake, what parts (brands included) should i invest in to maximize my cars performance for under $500. Thanks for reading my post.

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

I'd say try to find someone selling their stock GT dual exhaust, could probably pick it up pretty cheap. fr0ng did that. Maybe look for a mild cam after that.

3. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

I'd say a true dual exhaust like Wolf said. Also look into getting gears. I'm not too familiar with the V6's so I don't really know what would be best for them, but for the 4.6's I would always recommend mid-pipe, gears, cat-back, pullies, t/a, and for a manual a short throw shifter. Don't know how many of those apply to the sixer. You could also look into getting nitrous. That's probably the best bang for the buck. Don't know how much the stock V6 can handle though.

4. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

Does anybody know how much horsepower adding a v8 stock duel exhaust system would be?

5. AcidAngel_5.0

AcidAngel_5.0 Pure 0wnage

all in all its pointless, you just need to get a v8 and use the v6 as a daily driver.. however if u wanna make it quicker then the first thing you need is gears.. you want get any horsepower but it will put you in your powerband one hell of alot quick and that will be your biggest improvement.. get a set of 3.73 ( i guess v6 can do them.. dunno i own a 88 5.0)
    after that, open up the air flow with exhuast and larger throttle body / mass air sensor and get a 9" cone and cold air induction (not fenderwell... it will actually hurt performance because the bends can screw up how your MAS reads the air flow)
    personally if i was use.. id just buy a 75 shot of nitrous and u will be good to go until u get a v8 ;) or have more money to invest

6. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

As far as a CAI goes. You'd be better off just getting a K&N with the stock airbox. Tests have shown that in stock form the K&N flows just as well as a CAI. The CAI is mainly for looks. Just buy the K&N and use the rest of the money for some other worth while mod.

7. Wolf

You can go higher than 3.73s. Look into a set of gears in the 4.3x range.

8. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Would he even want to go that high with a V6. I don't know what their powerband is like, but that is almost overkill on a 4.6....that is if it's a daily driver.

9. Wolf

MY friend got them in his Cobra and liked it.

10. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

Yeah, but there is a huge difference between the Cobra and the sixer.

I retract my last statement. I meant to say that it's almost overkill on a 4.6 GT.

11. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

how much horsepower/money would getting new gears cost...any ideas?

12. Wolf

Gears don't change your horsepower. It changes the gear ratio in your differential, so you'll lose some top speed, but you'll accelerate faster. If you went with a higher ratio (lower numbers), you'd gain top speed, but accelerate slower.

http://www.randysringandpinion.com/home.shtml

13. twist_of_fate

twist_of_fate New Member

www.gefracing.com. Should be about $140 for gears, anywhere between $50-250 for install, and about $100 for speedcal (electronic speed calibrator).

14. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

If i upgrade to a v8 w/i the next 3 years, would i be able to take the gears out of my v6 and put them in my new engine? If not, does anybody suggest i just stay sluggish for a few more years and save the money towards the better engine?

15. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

No, you can't take the gears out the the V6 and put them in your new engine.

Gears don't go in the engine. :slap:

You COULD take them out of the rear-end and put them in the new car (assuming you get another Ford which uses a similar rear end), but it would cost more in labor than the gears are worth. Honestly, given the level of automotive knowledge you've displayed thus far, you would probably be better off not modifying anything on your current car. Just save your money and get something faster in a couple years. Anything you can do that would actually give your V6 appreciably more power is going to cost more than $500 anyway.

16. hondaluva

hondaluva likes free hugs...

I've heard that with very little mods (no N2O), the 3.8 can make the same power as the GT.

17. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

I'm very interested in the above statement...anybody know about this?

18. Cue-Ball

Cue-Ball I hate you, Milkman Dan

very few mods != very little money

19. Coma Black

Coma Black Guest

20. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

Ur saying if i get 4.1 gears that it will seem as fast as a 4.6lt v8?

21. The Stapler

The Stapler OT Supporter

For $500, you probably wont get anywhere near GT speeds.

22. Wolf

No, but it'll accelerate faster than with the stock gears.

23. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

What'd be better, to get 4.10 gears or a mod chip?

24. CBudweiserC

CBudweiserC Guest

I have a 00GT with a ton of mods and here's what I suggest to you.

Gears, gears gears. Cost you $500 (roughly) for the ring and pinion, install kit and for someone to do it. That will be your best shot. As far as what ratio, depends on what you want to do. If you drive on the highway then I'd go with a higher gear but if you're around town all the time then go lower. It's between 3.73 (don't go any higher than that) or a 4.10 (don't go any lower or you won't like it). As far as losing top speed. I'll have to call B.S. on that. I actually could go faster with my 4.10's then with my 3.27. 4.10's will let you pull a little in 5th as well. I've had my car pegged out on the road (150) and it went 173mph on a dyno jet.

A stock GT catback won't do much for you at all. The mufflers suck and the pipes aren't that big. If you want to get a little more power out of it do headers, off road pip and a dual catback. It will be loud and "illegal" but better than stock. A chip will help but it will help more with the more mods you do. There's always supercharging but that's expensive. I wouldn't do an engine swap either cause it will cost more than if you were to trade your car in and put that money down on a used GT. And you'll have a lot better place to start with on a GT. Nitrous is always fun, I've sprayed my car a few times and love it but make sure you get a good kit and use it wisely. CAI, don't do much of anything on a stock car, maybe 2 or 3 hp to the wheels. Underdrive pullies are cheap and will give you a little better gas mileage. Sorry for the long post. Good luck with what you decide. All in all, you'll be most happy with gears. You'll be very happy with them.

25. Rampage575

Rampage575 New Member

Sweet, thanks Cbud...ur wisdom is appreciated..i'm gonna look into getting some gears probably...i will be driving on the highway maybe once every 3-4 weeks....the 4.10 suggested for little highway driving, correct?