GUN USPSA Video, first match with my Springer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Mar 10, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

Ran my new Springer 1911 9mm in her first match this morning. Funny how a gun can shoot 500 flawless rounds during practice and at the range, then decide to puke on me come match time. :rofl: Actually, it wasn't too bad. I had 3 or 4 FTF's that were quickly cleared. 2nd place overall in Single Stack shooting in Minor ain't too shabby for it's first time out.

Well, it should have been expected. I had a few FTF's, so I'm back to the drawing board on either adjusting my loads or springs. This is where the fun begins and I begin to learn my gun.

Stay tuned. I'm running her again Wednesday night for plates, then IDPA Friday night and IDPA Saturday morning. Videos to follow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5B_VyzEdNU

btw, yes, I know I should cut my hair, but between shooting and preparing for my baby that should be here next month, little things like personal hygene take a hit, lol. I need a hair cut.:mamoru:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  2. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

:cool:You have some skills, not sure about all the problems with the gun. I'd probably dump it for something else.

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

Nah, I'm going to work it out. She's got some potential and can't judge her on her first time out. I'll wait to get my .45 back, and I'll be sending her in to go under the knife. I also have a few loads I want to run.

4. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

awesome dude.

Some fast shooting Tex. :coold:
    Curious what kind of groupings do you get like that, and about what range? Or is it just center mass types of shots?

5. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's what i shoot for anyhow. The target is 4 area's, and you are scored accoringly, and depending on if you are shooting "minor" loads (minimum power factor of 125 ex. 9mm, etc, you are scored even lower, which puts a premium on accuracy.

If you are shooting "Major" you are scored.

5 points for A hits, aka "Alpha" hits.
    4 Points for B Hits, aka "Bravo" hits.
    4 Points for C hits, aka "Charlie" hits.
    2 point for D hits, aka "Delta" hits.

Misses are called "mikes".

If you are shooting the division in "Minor" as I did, you are scored.

5 points for A hits, aka "Alpha" hits.
    3 Points for B Hits, aka "Bravo" hits.
    3 Points for C hits, aka "Charlie" hits.
    1 point for D hits, aka "Delta" hits.

So shooting a division in "minor" is harder, than in "Major" because I can't miss "Alphas" against guys shooting in Major.

What all USPSA paper targets look like, except you can't see the "perf" as easily IRL.
    [​IMG]

But yeah, the idea is to get two "alphas" per target. You have to shoot each paper target twice.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2008
  6. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Interesting. What kind of distance are the targets at? And do you aim for the head? :noes:

7. AB13

AB13 New Member

Some times you have to aim for the head, depends on the scenario. But targets are anywhere from 3 yards, to 20 yards away. They always vary from stage to stage to make it challenging. I would say most are set to 10-25 yards at this match.

The one stage where it only had a shot of me shooting past the camera from a box, the targets were about 20 yards away and hidden behind other targets called "no shoots". These are suppose to be "innocents" and when you shoot these targets, you get penalty points.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

Here's video of a Jr. Shooter I was shooting with, I didn't ask, but I get the feeling he's probably 12-14 years old. He's actually very advance for his age and outshot many older shooters in his division. Father asked if I could shoot some footage of him shooting. Nothing cooler than seeing father and son out there shooting a match together. Best believe my little girl will be out there with me as soon as she's strong enough to rack a slide. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fD-rVTGCrI

9. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

Man that looks like fun. :o

10. texchef

texchef Guest

I am but a few short weeks away from my first match. Waiting on some equipment I ordered today: belt, holster, mags and pouches. :wiggle:

We should get a DFW IDPA croo together. We can all start together and learn at the same rate.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's a great idea. That way you don't get discouraged. But most matches they should have a small handful of new shooters you usually take the New shooters orientation with. I know every match at our club, we usually have anywhere from 5-15 new shooters every match.

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

13. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

I'm sure you've answered this before but what holster are you using?

14. AB13

AB13 New Member

Blade Tech

15. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

:coold:

So each target, you only fire 2 shots at?

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

You can dump your whole clip on one if you like, but you are on the clock and getting timed and scored on the stage.

The idea is the "best of 2 shots" scored on a target is what you are getting scored on. You can get a total of 10 points per target, which is 2 shots in the "A" zone. "A" Zone hits count as 5 points each. So it's in your best interest to put 2 shots in a target as quickly as possible and move on to the next target.

dude, if you are local, you should come out to a match. I'll even supply all of the gear you need, including gun, holster, belt and mag holders. All you need to supply your own bullets and come early and attend the New shooters orientation at 8:30am in Renton. (which is free)

I shoot at Paul Bunyan in Puyallup, Marksman in Puyallup, Renton fish and game, Shelton, Custer, Marysville and Bremerton.

Our next match is in Renton rite off Sunset. We shoot from 10am to about 1-2pmish. It only costs 15 bux a match, and you get to shoot 6 stages like you see in the videos.

17. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

I'm in Kent.

I refuse to give Renton Fish And Game business because of their 1 round per rifle rule.

18. texchef

texchef Guest

Dude, suck it up. The man offered his gear to you to try it out. I would jump on that like free shaven pussy. I wish I knew someone who i could tag along with to check a match first. :wtc:

19. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

AB13, Thanks for posting those vids even though no one asked of you. I know for me at least it has sparked me to reach out and try to join the Practical shooting sports. I'm going to a USPSA event this coming saturday, but probably won't shoot as all I have is an IWB holster and no mag carriers.

Question, I can get 50% off of FOBUS holsters due to the SCCC discount, would a paddle roto OWB holster, do ok for the pistol holster? Would the FOBUS mag carriers work as well? and lastly, if you had the choice between paddle holders/holster and belt holster, which would you choose?

This last question goes to everyone, does anyone have any experience with FOBUS holsters in either the belt model or the paddle versions of their carriers or holsters? If you have had the belt model, will it work with a 1.5inch aker B21? Website says up to 2.25, so I don't know if that'd be too big.

20. texchef

texchef Guest

I'm not familiar with Fobus specifically but when I looked for my holster I looked strictly at belt holsters. I wanted something that would snug tight with my belt choice. My old XD subcompact had a paddle holster with the kit and no matter how much i sinched my belt/pants it seemed too loose for me.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

I would stay away with the fobus's. they're pretty bad, I've owned them and ran them myself. the mag holders are fine. Then again all they have to do is be able to hold the mags, so it's not hard to find a decent pair, Fobus for mag holders are fine. I just wouldn't use a Fobus holster, they feel cheap.

Now a better cheap alternative, that's actually surprisingly good holster is the newer Uncle Mikes paddle holster. Normally i don't like paddles, but this allows for your gun to offset a little bit of the body which is important for a fast draw. And after some tweaking with the adjustment screw, are just as fast out of the holster as my bigger name holsters. I've practically owned them all from Blade Tech, comp tach, fobus, uncle mikes and Galco Matrix. Most of them are in my spare back up bag in case someone else at a match may need to borrow one. Otherwise the only two I use anymore are my Uncle Mikes Paddle, or Blade Tech.

I've done sub 1 second draws to a 10 yard steel plate with a Uncle Mikes, it's more than capable.

As for "prefered" method of attachment, the best is always a secured belt style holster to allow for positive engagement. if there's slouch in your holster, your draw will suffer. Even worst, is the "draw wedgie" :mamoru:. Seen it plenty of times.

Get as cheap of mag holders you can get away with that are adjustable. And if you can't afford a Blade Tech (50-70bux) get an Uncle Mikes Kydex Paddle for 20bux. works for me anyhow.

22. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

I have all the necessary gear actually. I appreciate the offer, but like i said. I refuse to give that place my money.

23. AB13

AB13 New Member

A portion of it goes to Renton F&G, but a large part of it goes to our Action Pistol club specifically that holds all the action pistol events for targets and such. So it's more supporting our club, than anything. I, nor any of the other staff don't get paid for doing what we do and work purely on volunteer. The money goes into buying more targets and use of the action bays.

But I hear you, when I first started going there over 10 years ago, I was put off by their 1 round rule. Nowadays I'm able to go to the action bays and am away from the "public range" and there I'm able to set up and practice from my holster and shooting on the move, etc.

hey it's up to you, I'm just putting that offer on the table. And that goes for any WMD'er that's local. Give me a shout and I'll set you up as long as your serious and actually show up. Bring 15 dollars, 100 rounds and a free afternoon.