GUN USPSA Match Videos 9-28-08

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AB13, Sep 29, 2008.

1. AB13

AB13 New Member

I felt I shot pretty bad, fumbled some reloads, hit some no shoots, but still good enough for 2nd overall in Limited 10. It was a fun match as always, not a lot of sunny days left in the Northwest so we thoroughly enjoyed it, and after the match when everyone took off we broke out the .22's for some fun and I got to break in my GSG5. :naughty:

I'm enjoying my last few matches as just a participant at Renton shooting with the squads. During the prematch announcements they announced me as the new USPSA match director for 2009. :)

anyhow, the footage...

me:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHGdaztP4Lw

Market Garden:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuzQQVefluk

my buddy Cel:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLfSUTsrYHc

Breaking out the .22's:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLYa7X24ofs

2. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

are no shoots a pretty big penalty?

3. I really stunk up that match. On our first stage I picked up 3 no-shoots.

4. They're a 10 point penalty, that's pretty big.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Congrats on getting the match director position AB, that's good stuff.

6. AB13

AB13 New Member

Hey thanks dude. It's not gonna be a fun or easy gig by any stretch. Out of the 6 active USPSA clubs in Washington, we continue to host the most shooters per match, averaging 60+ shooters a match.

I have some plans for how I'd like to run my matches, expect some more speed shoots, IPSC style and some hoser style field courses with lots of inspiration coming from nationals and world shoots.

7. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

i've steered myself away from shooting single stack, they're such a bitch when it comes to mag changes and then metal mags = scars on hands!

question, are your mags rough or sort of stick? i see you slap your mags alot.

something that might help, rotate the gun to where the right side is facing down while keeping the muzzle on your target, that way you have a more clear visual of the magwell opening.

8. AB13

AB13 New Member

I shoot single stack to get better. It's like lifting weights, the more resistence, the better the outcome. When I get back to shooting Limited or Open, mag changes will be like throwing a magazine in a hallway. :mamoru:

The mag seat is a bad habit I developed just this year. I am trying to train that out of my system. Earlier in the year I had maybe 1 or 2 bad mag seats where it was fully seated and it's messed me up ever since. :hs: I lose a lot of time doing that now.

9. AB13

AB13 New Member

10. I have to learn to keep the gun up when I make my reloads. I tend to dip the gun down towards my belt and make the reload down there.

11. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

i was going to comment on that market garden, but wasnt sure how you would respond. i was lucky enough to learn all good habbits before making any bad ones. only bad habbits i have now are not using those things on top of the slide, i think they're called sights.

12. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

i just bought a shot timer, ced7000. not sure if you guys have heard of or currently use this techinque, but my buddy dale hunnicutt (ranked 5th in the world, IDPA) shared a training tip. set the timer for 2 beeps, 1.2 or 1 second apart, wear it around your neck and practice at home. point is you're trying to beat the second beep. makes sense...

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

Par time is one of the main features I use and train with. :)

14. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

so thats what its called. cool.

15. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Market garden it looks like your getting better. Your fairly smooth now and not so hurkey jerky. One thing I did see is you look at your gun as you make your draw. This is slowing you down. You got to break that habit. Look at your first target, really pick the spot for your first shot, and then really go for that gun. I used to try to be smooth the whole way through the draw. I've since learned rip your arms going for the gun out the holster and be smooth brining it out to the target. You have to practice getting the proper grip when you do this though.

As far as mag changes I think the problem is you looking for the mag in your belt. The gun is going to go where your eyes are. Thus your dropping the gun. As soon as you hit the mag button rotate the gun and look in the magwell. Grab your mag off the belt and the mag will go where your looking. It's just the way the brain is wired.

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

Yup, I have a bunch of par time drills I do both live fire and dry fire. Transitions, draw and reloads.

Each drill I do different sets of par time: Same drill I'll do 6 seconds, then 4 seconds then 2 seconds. Depending on the drill. You want to do your drills using higher par times, and then do the same drills with lower par time, and then push yourself until you absolutely can't make par time.

Push the envelope, watch it bend. :)

17. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

i have florescent paint on my magwell. cant miss it!

18. AB13

AB13 New Member

I used to do that too, except I use red dykem just on the inside right of my magwell. You have to keep the magwell in your face box.

19. Thanks. I have to try and remember to not rush sometimes too. Thankfully my first stage ended up on AB's cutting room floor. I kind of rushed my way through it, and did some violence to a few of the no-shoots. I'll work on not looking at my gun on the draw too.

20. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

i did it to my glock because its all black. but i've become so used to it i dont even look anymore. sucks though cause the not looking habit will be hard to switch when my STI gets working.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

Like I was telling you at the match, that's just you hitting your rev limiter now. You can only go as fast as your front sight will allow. The only thing that'll get you out of that hump is practicing properly. You can only shoot as well as you practice. And even then, you can only realisiticaly shoot up to 80% of your practice, never the other way around.

Practice at 110%, shoot a match at 75-80%. Push it in your practice, and smoothly during matches.

Your speed is there, you need to smooth out your technique. Your progressing very well and fast, but now it's time to hit the dry fire as your progression from here will be earned by a little dedication and in smaller increments.

One of the guys told me, you better watch what you teach that kid, he may be in your rear view real soon. :)

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

Glock to 2011 is a hard transition. Which is why I'm sticking to the 1911/2011 platform this year. Is your STI set up for Limited or open?

23. wickedgun

wickedgun New Member

open. im anti mag change. haha j/k

24. That looks like so much fun. I wonder if they do these in Maryland/Virginia.

25. AB13

AB13 New Member

They sure do...

Degauff's
    1603 Hollandale Road
    Richmoond, VA
    (804) 840-9118
    Clubs in VA [SIZE=+1]AREA 8 USPSA/IPSC - A08[/SIZE] Contact Info
    Alan E. Meek
    Linden, VA 22642
    Home: (571) 217-5480
    Email: [email protected]

[SIZE=+1]FREDERICKSBURG ROD & GUN CLUB - VA14[/SIZE] Contact Info
    Gene Sullivan
    Fredericksburg, VA 22401
    Email: [email protected]

FREDERICKSBURG PRACTICAL SHOOTERS
    Located just south of Fredericksburg, off I-95 exit 126.
    Shoots on the first Sunday of the month, March through November.
    Time slots TINO DI MATTINA 703-878-6068.

NORTH MOUNTAIN PRACTICAL SHOOTERS
    Located at the Shenandoah range at Lebanon Church (near Winchester).
    Shoots March through November, on the third Sunday of the month
    Dan and Elaine Chandler, 540-428-1940
    [email protected]

ROANOKE RIFLE & REVOLVER CLUB
    Located near Roanoke
    http://www.roanokerifle.com/shooting%20venue%20list.htm
    http://www.pkcarroll.com/

Mark Steinle 540-427-1160

EASTERN SHORE PRACTICAL SHOOTERS
    Located at William T. Roe Memorial Range, Sudlersville, Maryland.
    ESPS Matches will continue to be held on the second saturday, March thru October.

Kenny Danz 302-378-2041

MARYLAND PRACTICAL SHOOTERS
    Located at Thurmont Conservation and Sportsman's Club,
    Frederick Co. Maryland, S.E. of Thurmont, MD.
    MPSA shoots on the third Sunday of the month, March through November.
    Auxiliary matches will be held at Dug Hill Rod and Gun Club, Carroll Co.
    Maryland, N.W. of Baltimore by announcement.
    Bill Allred 410-795-6186. No phone calls after 9 p.m.!

ST CHARLES SPORTSMANS CLUB - VA15
    Shoots on the 3rd Sunday of each month, March through November
    Andrew White, Severna Park, MD 21146
    Home: (410) 544-0408, Work: (301) 877-8884, Fax: (301) 877-0914