MIL USMC question....getting recalled and keeping rank

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZaC851, Oct 11, 2007.

1. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

Ok so a buddy that worked in my section with me got out about a year before I did. I just got out about 2 months ago. Well....just recently, this guy got recalled back and was given 4 months to prepare, get his uniforms back up, fitness etc etc. Anyway this just got me thinking...I have the worst of luck sometimes and did my 4 years of active duty and got out as a Sgt. I'm now on my 4 years of inactive status....Lets say I got recalled a year from now ..would I be able to keep my E5? I would be pretty upset getting called back after having started school, but I would be even more pissed if they took a stripe away because I've been out for a year.

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

3. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

no speaka engrish

4. NPH

NPH Guest

They can't take your rank away.. maybe your time in grade, but not quite sure how that works when being recalled. I know that if you voluntarily come back to active duty after EAS'ing you're a PSEP (Prior Service Enlisted Program) and you lose all your time in grade you had. Sucks if you get out, and you are really close to picking up the next rank.. cause if you decide to come back in, you gotta start all that time again.

This is the situation I'm in right now. I would be picking up Sgt 1st Qtr of 2008 if I were to stay in. My EAS is this December and I'm planning taking terminal leave the 29th of this month. If I did the PSEP shit, I'd lose 19 months of time in grade. So it's something that's been in the back of my mind lately. If I get out, there's no coming back cause I sure as hell I'm not going to restart the clock as a Cpl. Fuck that shit! They'll have to recall my ass, which I highly doubt as we have civilians now doing my MOS (admin - not something you would call "critical MOS").

5. Liebgott

Liebgott New Member

lolz you getting recalled :rofl:

6. Twisted STi

Twisted STi All wheel or no wheel OT Supporter

I would be pissed if I got recalled.

Stayed dormant for 4 years, and then they want to do something with me after I get out? :madfawk:

7. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

dont say that. :wtc:

8. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

Ya you get to keep your rank. I got out as an E4 and should be picking up Sgt while on IRR. And yes, you can pick up rank on IRR. We have cutting scores just like on active duty, the score just comes out quarterly instead of monthly. A friend who had got out and reenlisted after he had been out for over 90 days told me that if you spend 90 days on active duty after you get out (i.e. get recalled or something) and then reenlist you get to keep your TIG

9. NPH

NPH Guest

So if I choose to go IRR.. I get to keep my TIG in the event I get recalled (which the chances of getting recalled are higher as an IRR)?

10. aftershock-

aftershock- rawr -.-

Well, if you just finished a 4 year contract, theres no "choosing" to go on IRR, you are automatically on it for 4 years after you get out. But in the event that you get recalled, you will reenter with your same rank and TIG.

11. ZaC851

ZaC851 New Member

I've also heard that they wont recall you, your first year out and your last year in the IRR. So basically, your 2nd and 3rd year of the IRR you could be called back. Don't know how true that is. Ironically, this guy that just got recalled just hit his 2nd year mark in the IRR.

12. Liebgott

Liebgott New Member

who was it that got recalled?

13. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Fucking 5 year contract FTL

14. NPH

NPH Guest

So it's only when you choose to come back that you lose your TIG.. Hmmm.

15. Jbeanz

Jbeanz OT Supporter

:werd: