MIL USMC MOS's

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by mrj, Jun 26, 2007.

1. mrj

mrj New Member

Some general questions about the MOS's. I did some ROTC but it was Navy.

Anyhow, I'm looking to join. I'm a rather experienced Network/Systems Administrator, and jesus fucking shithead lordalmighty I don't want to ever sit at a computer again. :ugh: I can't handle it anymore, I've done it since I was 7. I'm 23 what a fucking boring, unappreciative, and unrewarding (apart from $) career.

So, with that said - I'm going through the MOS list and see things such as Infantry. Your actual MOS can be Infantry? I thought everyone was an Infantrymen first, and their actual day-to-day job second?

If you can be an Infantry guy, what do you do in your daily activities? I know people will have the same MOS and perform different functions, but.. really, what's an Infantry guy do? Are you constantly learning how to reload rifles faster, guard duty, are you always on missions..?

2. dmcgill

dmcgill New Member

not every marine is infantry. i believe that mos is 0311. every marine is, however, a rifleman. they are all trained for war, but only the specific infantry mos goes to the school of infantry after boot camp and mct.

i'll let any marines explain the rest. i just work with the infantry and force recon guys when we go to sea.

3. Socrates

Socrates New Member

No matter what Infantry MOS you choose, you are still working right next to all of the other infantry MOS's. During the course of your time in the Marine Corps, you will probably learn the basics of almost every infantry MOS.

I was an 0351, which is an Assaultman (Javelins, SMAW, demo), but I still had to learn how to assemble/disassemble all machine guns, mortars, TOW's, etc. I learned that in my unit, not in training.

As for having to learn how to reload faster, and all that stuff, you can count on it. Same shit different day. And firewatch never ends.

For the most part, you learn everything in School of Infantry and boot camp, and once in your unit, it's mostly just refreshing yourself on that stuff, and as of right now, learning about how to survive in Iraq.

4. OkiDiver

OkiDiver New Member

As for the non-infantry side the only time we touch our rifles outside of deployments is the yearly required qulification week on the range. In Iraq you may or may not be expected to do security convoys/patrols, just depends on your MOS.

If you want to do the infantry thing sign on for 03, if not pick whatever interests you. Theres a lot of pretty cool jobs out there that have the opportunity to see some stuff without living in a tent in the dirt. To each his own though. :)

Grunts seem to harbor some hate to us POGs in the rear but I know they aren't thinking about how lame we are when they're calling in CAS, requesting medivacs. We sent out so many rapid requests for water/food/ammo to the guys on the front lines via helicopter external loads in Iraq, there woulda been some seriously pissed of grunts if we wern't back there in the rear to help. ;)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  5. mrj

mrj New Member

Could you guys list your MOS/job and tell a little bit about what you do day-to-day?

I'm really nervous I'll wind up doing something just as boring, but in a shittier place.

I'm all for tents and dirt, I need to mix my life up some.

6. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

3043 Supply Admin

Never did a single day of my job when I was activated in Iraq.

7. USMC7684

USMC7684 Well-Known Member

1371 - Combat Engineer, too many details to explain, basically covers everything from demolition and explosive work, to bridge building. Definitely a field MOS.

8. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

combat engineer. it's about a 6-8 weeks course in lejeune. learn everything from mining/demining, construction, explosives, demolitions, and obstacle construction.

after training you're split into one of two arms: combat or fleet support. combat attaches you to an grunt unit while fleet support puts you into more of the construction and everything else.

it's a kickass MOS, i've traveled to quite a many places (thailand, guam, korea, even new mexico) doing everything from explosives training to building a school and a fence.