MIL USMC AD>Air Guard> USMC AD = I'm fucked

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nsxrebel, Oct 29, 2009.

1. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

So as the title says, I went from active duty Marine Corps to the guard, now back to active duty Marine Corps. For several reasons beyond my control, I've been reclassed 3 times since I came back in the Corps last December.

To keep things simple, my last MOS I was reclassed as, I got dropped 2 days before I was to leave for school(ATC, thank God I was dropped from that:x: ) in Pensacola due to overbooking of school seats for lat movers, lack of funds, and the MOS closed to lat movers. Another Marine was also going to get dropped for the same reasons, but since he was more than half way to Pensacola, they made an exception for him.

Anyways, I was told it would be at least another 6 months before they could get me another school seat. I said fuck that noise, I need to have an MOS so I can get promoted, so I requested to come back to my original MOS.

Well I lost all time in grade, and my rank & time in grade doesn't count from the guard, only time in service while I was activated. So I came back in the Corps pretty much as a boot Corporal all over again. I'm sitting at 7 years TIS, and I'm coming up on high year tenure come next December, which means if I don't pick up Sergeant by then, I could get booted out.

The problem is I don't have a composite score yet. Apparently a new MarAdmin came out where Corporals have to wait 12 months now before being eligible for promotion as opposed to 9 months. I called IPAC and was told that as of 1 Jan 2010 I will have a composite score of 1575. I'm working on my 8000 series MCI's, so that will give me another 100 points, which will put me at 1675. I'm already 4th award expert shooter.

Here's where I'm really fucked, the top score in my MOS is 1846 with several in the 1800's and high 1700's. There's no way I can compete and get promoted within next year.

My command is planning on sending me back to MOS school, since I worked on legacy KC-130's back in my first enlistment, before they began the transition to the J models. I'm still checking in to my unit, and if I start school after the holidays, there's a good chance they'll let me go PTAD and do RA. I'm good friends with the recruiters back home, so I called them up. They are gonna help me with max points (100), I just have to go work for them.

So I'm looking at starting the year with a composite score of 1775(oohrah!) points. Definitely looking much better, but then I have to wait and see if the MOS even opens up for promotions and if I make the cut. In my MOS, I see that being very difficult. Even if I somehow do get promoted, then I have 4 years to make Staff Sergeant, and so on, it's gonna be a constant uphill battle to get promoted.

So my plan now is to submit a package for Marine Security Guard duty. I have an appointment on Monday with the career jammer to start my package. The MSG monitors are coming to my unit in a few weeks, so if I get accepted, I heard the monitors will cut me orders on the spot. Upon completion of MSG school I will receive 100 points toward my composite score.

The other ways to fast promotion are if I do recruiting duty or meritorious promotion. Meritorious promotion is not guaranteed and I don't have the rank to be a Drill Instructor, nor am I sure I would want to do that. Recruiting Duty I can do at any time or rank, but MSG I can't. I'm still single and have no kids, so I think it's a better choice and a lot more exciting.

My SNCOIC's are not too happy about me applying for MSG since I just got here, but fuck them, this is my career we're talking about. Nothing else has turned out the way I wanted, I'm gonna hope for the best this time. :noes: I've heard they are hurting for MSG Marines, so wish me luck.

Cliffs: Don't get out of the Marine Corps, join another service, and come back to the Corps. It's gonna fuck you over.

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

3. bowengoh

bowengoh OT Supporter

4. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I lost all TIG for being out of the Corps over 4 years, but I still keep TIS. If I don't pick up Sgt by 8 yrs, I could get booted out. I'm sitting at 7 years now.

5. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

See? Now was that so hard to say? :mamoru:

Good luck bro. Looks like you at least have a handle on how to get there. Now you need to work the plan and not lose sight of the target.

6. Julius

Julius Guest

wow, that's a retarded stipulation.

you can always become army strong if push comes to shove. promotion isn't difficult (if you pick the right job) and there is room to excel. there's not many MOSes that translate to yours here, though.

7. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

welcome to the suck

8. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Yut.

9. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Semper Gumby right?

Well I had to attend a LINKS class(you Marines know about this), and there was a career jammer there. I told her about my situation and my plans for submitting for MSG duty and how my SNCOICs are not happy about it since I just checked in. She pretty much said fuck them, this is my life and career and to go ahead and apply.

10. spook

spook OT Supporter

Can't believe I read that all, good luck getting MSG.

11. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Thanks, I go see the career planner tomorrow. :x:

12. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Well I got my MSG package yesterday afternoon. My SNCOIC's are not too happy about me applying. Without having to say so, they're trying to tell me not to apply. They're telling me I could get meritoriously promoted as if it's a guarantee if I stay in the unit/MOS.

They no shit told me they would not endorse a recommendation on my package at least in my section/division. What they're really trying to say is not to apply and coming up with excuses and reasons to stay and train in my MOS, but they know they can't tell me not to or prevent me from doing so. I would request mast in a heartbeat. Never thought I would be in a situation where I could possibly exercise that option.

The good thing is that some SNCO's that knew me from my first enlistment are encouraging me to apply. One senior SNCO even told me he would give me the highest endorsement possible. Pretty much everyone outside my division is telling me they can go fuck themselves. This is coming from admin, career planners, sncos, etc.. There are a couple SNCOs in my division that are supporting my decision though. Either way it doesn't matter if I get an endorsement or not from my division, it's what the career planner and SgtMaj recommend, and ultimately up to the MSG monitor. So they could all deny an endorsement and the monitor could still accept me and cut me orders on the spot.

I know they don't care about me because realistically I cannot stay in this MOS and be competitive, yet they're insisting I go to school and OJT for 6 months, then I can apply for MSG.

I can almost be sure I won't get approved for PTAD orders if I submit this MSG package. I talked to the recruiters back home and they're working on orders to request me to come out for recruiter's assistance over the holidays while I await a school date.

The worst thing about this all, I fucking hate the fact that they're trying to dick me around like I'm some 19 year old that just graduated bootcamp and just hit the fleet. This is my life and career we're talking about here.

13. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

ooh rah :ugh2:

14. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

15. bubblescivic

bubblescivic New Member

whatever you do i hope it doesn't pertain to communications.