LGBT Using the F****t word

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by marxwa99, Feb 18, 2004.

1. marxwa99

marxwa99 Boom Squad

So if black people justify the use of the N word in their conversation, is it okay for gay people to use the F word among one another?

I've always been curious what others thought about this because some gay friends of mine have no problems calling themselves and others it, but others say its still a taboo word no matter what.

2. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

i'd never use it in normal conversation like a black man would use the the word n-word-a:o

3. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I concur.:wiggle:

4. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Fag, flamer, homo, queen, etc... all fair game. We all know each other's intent in using the word.

5. LoveBack

LoveBack Guest

Funny you ask this, because I wrote a letter to an author criticizing him for the exact same thing: A character in his book was a gay black man, who hated his black friends to call him the N-word, but was ok with his gay friends (also black) calling him the F-word. To me, there's no difference. Neither one is healthy and they're both derogatory.

It's just like women calling each other "bitch", big people calling each other "fat ass," and so on. If you'd be offended by someone outside your "circle" saying it, then don't say it at all.

6. Taylor

Taylor Guest

Everything is based on intent. Does it hurt when someone calls you an idiot if it's a joke? No. But if someone is serious, it's an insult and can hurt feelings. All words are dependent not only on their meaning but the intent in their usage.

7. RedGoober4Life

RedGoober4Life New Member

I think it confuses people less if I don't have double standards on the words I say. I just can't do it to myself. I don't think that saying the "n" word between black people is right either, and I have quite a few black friends that think the same exact thing. Some my age, some 40 years old. Then again, they're all respectful people and I would expect it of them, I guess.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  8. NOVAJock

NOVAJock Modded & Underrated

Here is a post I made in another related thread:

9. LoveBack

LoveBack Guest

The difference there is being called an idiot jokingly or seriously wouldn't faze a person if they knew otherwise. When a gay is called the big F or a black is called the big N, esp. by someone who is neither, it's not as easy for some to brush off.

That's why I don't use either and hate hearing or SEEING them.

10. Taylor

Taylor Guest

I realize it was a weak example... but the idea is still there... I certainly don't take offense when black people call each other the N word (I'm white), but if a white guy says it (as a lot of people from NYC do, I've found) it damn sure offends me. It depends a lot on the situation and who it is coming from.

11. Sam Gamgee

Sam Gamgee Every tool is a weapon if you hold it right. OT Supporter

the word faggot, like nigger, makes me uncomfortable.

But, I'm trying to be less affected by words... I'm not succeeding so well.

But, I'm trying to keep in mind that another person's opinion of me, and the words they use, are of no direct consequence to me.

12. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

There's a huge difference between those words IMO.

I don't like the N word it's hurtful and yes gay people call each other fags and faggots..etc.
    Hell, I've been labelled as a Faghag. The word doesn't bother me. I don't like being called a "Fish" :rant2:

13. GeekDrew

GeekDrew aka DataDrew

I've actually had this exact conversation with quite a few people... best friends, acquaintences, etc.

I have some very close friends (one being one of my brothers) that I don't mind if they call me faggot. On the other hand, if I hear it from someone that I don't know or I am unsure about their intent, I take offense.

I work in a high school and of course faggot is a popular word among juniors (my particular high school has only juniors and seniors); the seniors seem to have matured further than having to call someone a derogatory name every 10 minutes. If I hear students using the word faggot (as well as other choice words), especially in hushed tones, and throwing glances my way, I immediately hand them a discipline referral.

14. bri1042

bri1042 New Member

I don't think its really any different than black folk using the n-word but I really don't think that either group is accomplishing anything constructive by attempting to adopt the word. My circle of gay friends all used to use it and now the word has pretty much left our language.

15. CoCo

CoCo ...is a Queer Don!! OT Supporter

The most offensive words that were at one time used to oppress minorities or groups of societies, typically get Reclaimed (as in reclaiming or taking back the power that the word has over that sect). Cunt, Bitch, Dog, Queer, Faggot, Dyke, and Nigger are examples of these. In most instances, when a word is reclaimed, it is altered in some way. For example, 'Nigger' became 'Nigga','Dog' became 'Dawg', and 'Faggot' became 'Fag', both of which the user must have 'social permission' to use freely. In the cases where the reclaimed words were changed, the original words still hold levels of taboo. 'Nigger' still in most cases wouldn't dare be uttered by a white person.