Using someone else's wireless, without them knowing?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Oct 8, 2005.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Ok, so i'm at this appartment complex, turn on my computer, and realize that i've got wireless signal.
    So, i've been using it, but i just opened up iTunes, and it loaded up the other persons COMPLETE iTunes library. Everything. Apparently, they are have iTunes.

So, how can i dissable this? I assume that the person whos wireless it is can tell that i'm on it, and might even be able to connect to my computer?

Thanks a ton guys
    Peter

2. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

Go into itunes, find the sharing tab, and make sure "share my music" is unchecked. Feel free to leave look for shared music on, you can listen to their music at your leisure.

However, if you are listening to their music, and they try to quit itunes, it will warn them that someone is listening to their music, are you sure you want to quit?

Total ninja status would require you to refrain from listening to their music.

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

thanks a ton bro

At the moment, if i'm still on thier wireless. Lets say they have a mac, is there anyway for them to view what i'm viewing, etc. U know, see my websites, or passwords or info?

Thanks man.

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yes, if they know what they are doing. The reality is that nobody bothers. Use it if you want.

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

most people can't see what you're seeing without remote administrator. some routers can tell you what pages you've viewed and where you've navigated on the net. plus, they can pull your mac address too. But other than that, most people who have it freely open like that don't really know what they're doing.

6. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

if hes on a mac, and if they're on a mac, since their using itunes, and unprotected wireless, its a good posibility that they are on a mac, they could go to the network "tab" in finder, and see your computer.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Only if he has sharing enabled. Otherwise those services aren't running, and the ports are firewalled.

8. colosodian

colosodian Next Gen

makes sense.

original poster:

go to system prefrences, nd go to sharing. Make sure that all the sharing things are unchecked, that way your comp wont show up under their network.

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

exactly, if sharing is enabled, you can see folders and such. you can't see exactly what is on the screen like the user without remote administrator.

10. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

ok, thaks guys.
    Yeah, notyihng is checked, so i'm hoping i'm good. But, i'm leaving tommorrw anyways, so it doesnt matter much anymore.

Now, i've got another sharing Q, if it doesnt get answered, i'll just make another thread.

But, i noticed that there is an internet sharing tab. It says something like "You are connected to the internet over Airport. Click start to allow other computers to access the internet via built-in ethernet."
    Would it be possible for me to use my laptop as a wireless internet reciever for my xbox? like, plug this comp into the xbox via ethernet. Then, click the start thing, and would it work?

Thanks a TON
    Peter

11. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

yes, it would work.

12. moses

moses OMGWTFBBQ

if you've found an open network chances are:

a) the person is too dumb to secure their wifi
    b) the person doesn't give a shit if you piggy back
    c) the person wants you to think they're dumb and use their wifi while they sniff your shit.
    d) both b and c

:noes:

13. Milin

Milin It's Terminal.

Use Ourtunes And Take His Musakz And Stealz His Megahurtz :noes: