Using power tools for heavier swirls

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Tobal, May 6, 2003.

1. Tobal

Tobal Guest

I was curious what is a good power tool to use to get rid of those annoying swirls...Somehow i am not having the best of luck getting rid of the swirls with the 3M SMR. As for using the Rubbing compound that seems to harsh. Would using like a PC help remove it, or would a more pro orbiter be required?

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Have you tried Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner/Polish followed by Swirl Free Polish? Finish it up with S100 SEPC or Clearkote's Vanilla Moose. You'll be very happy with the results, I'm sure of it.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you want to try an pro level orbiter, the Porter Cable 7424 is pretty good-a little over $100, plus you need the counterweight and backing plates, along with pads (stick with foam), so you'd probably end up spending about $200 or so to get started, maybe less if you can find a package deal.

Don't bother with the cheapie models they sell at Pep Boys or other autopart stores. They don't have strong motors and you can't find a large variety of pads for them.

A PC is an orbital buffer, so if you use foam pads, there is no danger of swirls. It basically works like your hand does, but faster.