GUN using my pistol's slide release. . .let it snap forward? or ease it with hand?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dobis P.R., Sep 2, 2008.

1. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

2. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I let it slide unrestricted. isn't it designed for that?

I'm sure no one is going to take their sweet ass time in the middle of a firefight to let the slide go easy. Plus, when you fire a round, it does the same thing essentially.

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

are you talking about with chambering a new round? if you ride it forward, it might not go into battery.

4. Painkiller

Painkiller Sometimes remembering is better than forgetting

You should always ease the slide forward. There is no bullet for cushion so it's hard on things. In 1911's it can break the sear.

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If it's a glock, let that sucker fly. Dry fire the crap out of it, do whatever you want. You can't really hurt the pistol. The only thing I would not recommend is to hand load rounds into the chamber and then drop the slide. (this is done to get +1.) Reason being is that this is hard on the extractor (true for all semi auto firearms.)

To get plus one you should barney mag. Seat loaded mag, rack slide to chamber a round. Then drop the mag and top it off, or reload with a full loaded mag.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  6. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I let it slide forward on it's own only when chambering a round. Otherwise, I'll pull back on the slide and ease it forward.

7. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

I do what Yar does.

+1 for me.

8. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

:werd: I do this.

9. For the brass to "cushion" the slide there would have to be no free play between the brass (assuming it headspaces on the mouth of the case like a .45 in a 1911) the rim in the chamber and the slide. In fact there is free play in there, rather than the brass being sandwiched between those parts. There is no significant "cushioning" that the brass gives. Think about it, if the brass cushioned the slide, then every time a round was chambered the brass would be hammered into the the chamber. That would be pretty noticeable.

The only conceivable difference that chambering a round could make is that the small amount of energy needed to strip that round off the magazine could ever-so-slightly slow the forward motion of the slide.

10. Exactly. When you do that you force the extractor around the rim of the case, that requires much more bending than it was designed for.

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

But it does make a difference. Drop your slide on an empty chamber then do it chambering a round. There is a definite difference in the amount of force you feel when the slide closes.

12. I don't notice it. For the sake of argument, we can assume it does. So, where does the brass absorb some of the impact? I took a look at a bunch of my fired brass I have lying around and I can't see any marks from where the slide has hammered the brass into the chamber. I can only assume that there would be marks in a metal so soft as brass when it takes a hammering between two steel parts.

13. Here, I've taken apart my 1911 and snapped some photos for you.

Here you can see, indicated by the yellow arrow, that the case, if inserted until the mouth touches the forward edge of the chamber, actually sits below the protrusion highlighted in red.
    [​IMG]

And here, as indicated by the red arrows, is the wear mark caused by the coming together of the breech face and the part highlighted in red from the previous photo. Now, since we know the case sits further into the chamber than that part in red, it's IMPOSSIBLE that the case somehow absorbs the impact. The case is actually loose in the chamber.

[​IMG]

Now, it is possible to actually headspace the case on the projectile by playing with seating depths (by allowing the projectile to come into contact with the rifling) but then you run the risk of not allowing the slide to go fully into battery, and that's not the way the gun was designed to work. I even checked a loaded factory round, and sure enough it sits below the red-highlighted part too.

Here's a pic of a loaded factory round for good measure. It's clearly below the raised portion that was highlighted in the previous picture.
    [​IMG]

14. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

so in other words, having a round in the chamber or not makes no difference regarding the wear and tear of releasing the slide?

15. Chambering a round in and of itself doesn't materially change the force with which the slide slams forward. The round doesn't "absorb" any of the impact. There are issues, and they can be debated, about the harm done by not having the trigger pulled to the rear as the slide is released, as it is claimed by some that it will increase wear on the sear because of the position of the disconnector. When firing the gun, one's finger holds the trigger rearward until a new round is chambered, and that is not the case when one allows the slide to slam forward on an empty chamber, but that has nothing at all to do with there being a round chambered.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Per springfeild armory...

The slide of a 1911-A1 pistol should never be released on an empty chamber; especially one which has had an action job. Releasing the slide on an empty chamber causes damage to the breech face on the barrel and undue stress on all action parts, including the hammer and the sear. This will ruin the action job performed on your pistol.

Per Glock..

Don't be a fag. Drop the slide on that bitch and dry fire all you want.

17. That is the one thing that gets brought up every time this discussion is had. I really don't get the whole "damage to the breech face" thing. That would rely on the round slowing down the forward motion of the slide just enough to prevent damage... meaning that the metals used are right on the edge of their strength where the tiny amount of friction imparted by the round being stripped from the magazine is all that separates them from damage. Not to mention that people use different weight recoil springs all the time that have the effect of slamming the slide closed with more force.

The "Releasing the slide on an empty chamber causes damage to the breech face on the barrel and undue stress on all action parts, including the hammer and the sear. This will ruin the action job performed on your pistol." part of that quote is really talking about releasing the slide with the trigger in its forward position, and the possibility of damage due to that.

18. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Let it snap forward. I learned the hard way with my hunting rifle :wtc:

19. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

This.

20. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

Drop that slide on Glocks, XD's, etc, but I guess you need to be ever-so-gentle with that 1911 lest you need to demonstrate your love and devotion to your gunsmith again ... this month.

On the other hand, careful about routine "thumbing down" on the thin sheet-metal slide release on Glocks unless you want to replace it when it can't hold the slide open anymore.

21. jabbadeznuts

jabbadeznuts ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

On my 1911, unless it's stripping a round off of the mag, I never let the slide slam home.

On the Glock, I slam the fucker home all day on an empty chamber.

22. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

If a gun is too fragile to allow the slide to reciprocate, I'm sure as hell not going to carry it.

23. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

That is exactly right. Its pretty obvious when you do a comparison that the slide does not come forward with as much force when its chambering a round.

But hey, its debatable as to whether or not it causes any damage, I never said it did in my post, just that there is a noticeable difference. On some guns it may be bad on others it may make no difference. But to be safe, there really is no need to let it slam forward on an empty chamber. When I chamber a round I let it go as designed, when closing it on an empty chamber I ride it forward just cause I can.

24. Topgun

Topgun OT Supporter

exactly.