Using multiple harddrives

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chompiras, Aug 19, 2007.

1. chompiras

chompiras New Member

I used to have a setup with 2 harddrives, the bigger one being my master and the slave with only data, not even an OS. I took one of the harddrives off because I thought it was the culprit for my PC overheating/hardlocking, but I found it wasn't the only cause, at least. I have these 2 HD's

Seagate U6 80GB Hard Drive
    (Ultra ATA/100, 5,400 RPM, 2MB - MPN: ST380020A)

Western Digital 250GB EIDE Internal Hard Drive
    7200 RPM, 8 MB buffer, 40-pin EIDE

I have just recently learned and can vouch for the fact that the WD drives certainly do tend to be unreliable. That one recently just crapped out on me, painfully losing 200gb worth of all sorts of cool stuff, so I'm going to reformat it for sure. What I'm debating now is whether I should reformat my main one, the 80 gb, and start brand new, which is most likely what I'll do.

My questions are, which drive would suit better as the master drive? Is RPM the only thing that matters? Of course I'm looking to pick the drive which will have faster processing times than the other.

Also, is it recommended (better) for only the master drive to have an OS installed? That's how my setup was and it worked just fine, files from the slave drive worked perfectly fine so I was comfortable with that.

Lastly, after all these years, I'm going to learn from my mistake and really devote at least a portion of the drive for backup. My original drive, which came with the PC, had about 2 gigs stored for recovery, and about 6 years ago when I bought it, I deleted it. What would you recommend for me to have (whether it be software, or simply a method of backing data up every once in a while) in case one of my drives were to just take a shit? Reformatting wouldn't really be a problem, but I would hate to lose my files again.

Yes long post, I know, but I'll appreciate any advice you guys got to offer, thx.

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I run multiple drives myself. I like a smaller/faster capacity drive for the os, and the larger drive for backup space.

I use Acronis backup software which is brilliant. With Acronis, you can burn to cd's, dvd's, make a hidden partition on your main drive as well as a normal backup to the secondary drive. When you burn to dvd or cd you can compress the data. The compression rate you choose is variable. Good stuff!

I would get another drive if I was you. The Western Digital WD1600AAJS is a very speedy drive that's nearly as fast as the Raptors.
    And you can get one shipped to you for $56. Tough to beat!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136075&Tpk=wd1600AAJS

The biggest plus doing it that way would be that you could install Windows on the new drive, then hook up your old drives and drag all the data to the WD1600AAJS, then wipe the old drives. Then drag the data back onto the old drives.
    And THEN do the Acronis backup.

You wouldn't lose any data, and you would be all set for the next time you have to reinstall Windows.

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

One failed drive does not an unreliable brand make. Seagate is the Duramax Diesel V8 of hard drives, but Western Digital knows their stuff too. If you for some reason go with a SCSI drive for your OS (which would be screaming fast, but also loud unless you have a hard drive cage with rubber mounts), then Fujitsu would be about the best brand you could get. If you're not that adventurous, another Western Digital drive will be fine.

For your data drive, consider setting up a RAID1 with two identical disks so if one dies the other will still work.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

Faster is better.

There's no need to have an OS on the slave, unless it is configured for multiple boot/OS system.

I never liked the idea of having the backup/recovery data on the same drive.
    Invest on external drives. Some comes with backup software.

5. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Oh crap, I missed that.

NEVERMIND!

:mamoru: