Using MS Access in an app

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by CompiledMonkey, May 18, 2003.

1. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I've got a few consulting jobs coming down the pike. Each of them are web based and for somewhat smaller companies than I'm used to. They would like a way to get into and manipulate the data in their database. I would normally use MySQL on a small budget project, but I'm leaning towards MS Access instead. I think a clean visual representation of their database would make it easier for them to edit data and so on. Aside from the possible problems resulting from software versions, is there anything else I should be aware of before making that decision?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Using the access database itself would not cost you anything. You do not need to have Access installed to edit/view data if you want to write a program to do so. MySql is free, but you'll have to pay some money for a good database administrator just like buying access. I know there are free ones out there, but i have yet to find one that kicks ass

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I know MySQL is free, I normally use it. The point of Access is giving the company/group a visual view of their database and how everything links together, visually. They also want to be able to edit data visually. That's why I'm thinking Access. Well, also because its free (if they already have it).