WEB Using Magneto for eCommerce software? Your thoughts on using this please.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by komplex, Jan 23, 2010.

1. komplex

komplex New Member

Found a template that's free with magneto, and the software itself looks brillantly developed and designed. I'm going to try a few test runs on my new server tonight (bought mediatemple grid server) and see how things work out. Unfortantly, it's the free version but I want to open myself up to all sorts of things you can develop on the web. Anyways, what are your thoughts on the software, I'm excited to have found out about this and to find a few great looking templates.

2. Major Tom

Major Tom OT Supporter

Magento is fine. Some people say it's a cunt to customise.

3. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

he is a badass villian

[​IMG]

as for magento

i have not used it, downloaded it but never used it lol

I usually use zen cart, I know it better and usually don't want to take the time to mess with something new

but have good things about it

4. komplex

komplex New Member

Ha, thanks for the reply. Installation was flawless, took maybe 5-20min to install, was only a matter of copying and pasting and learning how to follow the process with needed information. The customization part isn't too bad, found a theme I wanted to use and installed it within 5-10 min, or about 6-8 clicks (no coding work needed).. The online part of downloading themes, is somewhat diffrent, but it's in a good way and makes ease of use better. Working on finding out how to do the logo, looked in the folders thought it would be as simple as replacing and image in the FTP, turns out it's not.. If I can't find it tomorrow, or it isn't as simple I'll be dissapointed and pretty confused.

Backend looks nice, lots of links and options so the ability to add details to products is outstanding, but if you want to change the layout/add something that might begin to become impossible with all of this already. For a first time quick install shop for eCommerce it was not bad. So there's my first review for the product so far, will keep anyone who's interested updated as to when I get more extensively invovled in this small project. Thanks to the two above for giving me your comments on the software.

5. komplex

komplex New Member

:bowdown:.

Hey thanks man, very impressive post! Much needed info that I was looking for, will be in touch with you from point on, going to start working on this project agian later tonight. Thanks for the help, and offering your advice, good to hear!

6. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

magento is a very very well thought out e-commerce content management system.

but, it's in a league of its own. like learning an entirely new different program

7. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

i use magento and get discouraged learning a new e-commerce platform from scratch. which is why i refuse to use anything BUT magento.

8. Taldir

Taldir Ask me about GasWatch!

I 100% support this statement. I have worked with 10+ systems and tested 100's. Magneto stands out, but it's not so easy to use out of the box.

The biggest lacking factor for me is how order status and orders in general are handled. To me that is just as important as everything else in a system. This is speaking from a person who gets 200+ orders on a slow day so your opinion might be different if you are only doing a few here and there.

Not using it on any of my production sites, but I do plan on launching out a new store in the next 6 months running it. This will be a small time site with little advertising, but enough for me to learn it inside and out. Then I can determine if I want to make the full switch to all my stores Magento.

Anyone on OT been successful with it?

9. LowClass

LowClass New Member

Funny because you are in the same position i am in. I was going to work on using the framework to re-do all the backends of my sites with it. because it already has modules built in for the things i need I would just need to swap out their basic code for more advanced stuff that will be developed. Going to be a costly product, but it would cost much more to start from not having reco engines and all that built into my stores now.

10. Taldir

I just see some of these sweet modules being built for Magneto and drool. Facebook connect, Amazon like suggested products, etc etc etc.

These are ideas I've had and wanted forever, but the cost and time to develop them just doesn't get you a return on your investment.

Now I can pay $200 and press install. Poof! Instant module that would take days or weeks to install and implement on my current system.

Also I'm currently on an ASP.net system with a small community providing support. I get great answers and results on the simple questions/requests. When I need something big no one could take the projects on.

11. LowClass

LowClass New Member

I wouldnt use facebook connect on a production site unless you were using it for reviews, but the suggestions, reco engines, cross sales platforms and advanced search algorithims are what we are going to be developing for use with that back end after it gets stripped and tuned.

I tihnk its great that its already worked in and you dont have to pay 20k + for those type of enterprise level features. Keep in mind i know nothing about getting into the big players platforms as im sure they do some spectacular things but you can incorporate a lot of the main stream stuff pretty easy. I also want to work on a email system a lot like amazon and some other big players do. That shouldnt be too too hard though.

12. pharmokan

pharmokan OT Supporter

i sloppily use magento. most things are not fully set up like tracking numbers, shipping charges, newsletters, but i get around and am learning new things every day. just looking at the page request architecture makes me want to :barf:

[​IMG]

13. Taldir

Yeah the tracking killed me. How can that not be included? Of course there are tons of modules out there, but most are crap.

I felt shipping charges were actually handled better then most packages. Lot's of options in there. I remember testing sites like Volusion where you couldn't use both Fedex and UPS or setup custom rates.

Newsletters to me are better handled by another piece of software. I purchased something I run on my server for $200 lifetime. It tracks views, clicks, etc. Much better then anything built in to an e-commerce package.