Using Linux as a router *Linux Crew*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sabrewulf, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

I am planning on setting up my linux box as a router in my house. I would like it to host the internet for my house, and distribute it through a switch(run a dhcp server). Right now im running the Mandriva Distribution 10.1(i think), its been a while since i've turned the machine on, since i've moved. I havent had internet yet. Just got my telelphone hooked up at the house. Ordering the internet probably next week.
    I've got 2 NIC's in teh linux machine. Im asking to see if there is something already built in to Madriva, or is it a package that i need to download. I mostly just need to know about what i need to get started and where to find documentation on how-to's and info. All i mostly need it what to look for on google and that would be good enough. Anything more than that is a bonus. :x:

Plan:
    1. Get documentation and software.
    2. Setup Linux machine as router.
    3. ????
    4. Profit.
    :mamoru:

Any help is much appriciated. :bowdown: :bigthumb:

2. kYd

kYd New Member

I know Auditor has an option in their to "act as an access point" but i've never really played around with it, so don't know fully what it does

3. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

I wouldn't use Mandriva as it seems to be geared more towards being a GUI-centric desktop environment. I'd recommend Debian or something similar. Either way, you're going to want to:

Run a DHCP client on whatever your outside interface is (eth0?)
    Run a DHCP server on your internal interface (eth1?)
    Set up iptables for your network address translation

There are lots of tutorials out there, but a lot of them will focus on using a specific distro.

4. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

What would be a good tutorial to search for to setup the iptables? or is it not that hard?

5. Sabrewulf

Sabrewulf New Member

Also what would be an ideal? Debain? I have been thinking of moving over to the slackware distro again. I used to use it logn ago.

6. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

7. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Use what ever distro supports your hardware best and you are most comfortable with. You will be the person the rest of the people in the house come complaining to when their internet isn't working so no need to have something you're not 100% comfortable in.