Using laptop as a desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Musouka, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Musouka

Musouka New Member

I want to hook my desktop to my Macbook so that I use the Macbook screen to display my desktop. Reason is I want to bring my desktop back to my dorm with me but my big ass 24" LCD won't really fit very well on the desk with all the other junk on it. Is it possible to use my Macbook as just a monitor? The desktop is Windows, but I'm installing windows on the Macbook right now.

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i don't think it's possible, at least through the hardware ports. someone correct me if i'm wrong.

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

well... you can't use the Macbook as a monitor for anything other than the Macbook, but you can use RDP to connect to the PC over the network. and you can do this through OSX or Windows.

4. Musouka

Musouka New Member

Would the Desktop need to be connected to the internet? We only have one ethernet port per person and no wireless. I guess I could bring up one of my old routers and try it that way? Plug the main ethernet cord into the router and then from the router to the laptop and desktop?

5. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

Would work, might want to check with your school (Just guessing) as to whether or not they allow this. I know at my university you are not supposed to have routers but people do anyways.