Using External HD as Itunes Library, need backup help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by caribou, Dec 26, 2006.

1. caribou

caribou New Member

aight....semi-basic question: how do i get a second external hard drive to be the exact same as a first to be able to use both as interchangeable Itunes libraries?

thanks for the help.

2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic One Nation Under A Groove

Why do you need to interchange them? Just get a second one to use as a backup drive that has the same data on it as your primary external, but only use one for itunes. Itunes doesn't l ike it when you switch music folders all the time.

3. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

Hold option when booting up itunes, it gives you the option to create additional libraries.

i have a "internal" library w/ about 3-4 gigs of music, and then an "external" with all of my music (~50 gb).

4. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

That's nifty. :cool:

5. caribou

caribou New Member

1. i need to be able to interchange them because i DJ with a program called Serato Scratch Live that incorporates the same playlists, etc. as itunes. I am worried that my EHD might die at some point and I dont want to have to worry about the playlists being lost.

2. i want to be able to have the second EHD backed up so that it has ALL the itunes library info as the first, so that should the first EHD die or something, i can just plug the second EHD in and things will work seamlessly. Playlists and other library data isht copied as well as my entire sound library (e.g. mp3s and .wav's