WEB Using Cookies to Store Customer Info

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sursa, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Sursa

Sursa / OT Supporter

Hey guys, I know very little about web programming so I maybe going about this the totaly wrong way, so dont laugh too much, but tell me how this sounds:

I have a html page with forms that are filled out. I need to have a way to test to make sure the email is valid and then have it send a email to my database containing all the information in the form.

What im doing is storing all the values of the form into cookies. One email is sent to the web user to the email address they filled in on the form. The email they get contains a link they follow. When they get to this link the page gets all the info from the cookies that were stored and sends an email to me with the information. For the most part it works great. However, I have noticed today that some of the emails i get are completely blank where the cookies should have been inputed. So now im rethinking the whole setup. Should I try to stay away from storing the info in cookies? i realize that people that have cookies disabled will have problems going through this process.

Thoughts, suggestions, halp? :hsd:

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

yes, that's a bad idea first because not everyone has cookies enabled, and second cookies are not secure.

what you probably should be doing is just storing the information in your database and have a column like "activated" or something that gets set when they follow the e-mail link.

3. Sursa

Sursa / OT Supporter

gotcha, ill look into something that writes directly to the database. I knew using cookies was the half assed way of doing it :( . thanks

4. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

Compare hashes