Using claybar to clean your windshield?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by addifan, May 29, 2002.

1. addifan

addifan Guest

Here is a write up about it. I have never tried it and I am wondering if anyone here has.

"If you haven't heard of using a clay bar on your glass, you aren't alone; I hadn't heard of it either until last year, when VW/Audi were giving away free "windshield maintenance" kits that consisted of a 3M Perfect-It III clay bar and some spray. This is what turned me onto using it. If you doubt the effectiveness of using a clay bar, do this simple test: wash your car; dry it; use the spray glass cleaner of your choice on the windshield; and when you think the glass is as clean as you can get it, use a clay bar on it. It'll come up black with stuff it pulls off the glass. I know mine did.

The clay bar manufacturers want to sell you detailing spray to use as the lubricant for the bar, but this is an especially bad idea for windshields, IMO. Aside from the fact that a car wash solution is a much, much cheaper way to go, it seems to me counterintuitive to use a spray that deposits stuff on your glass when you're trying to get the glass perfectly clean.

I'm not a fan of Rain-X or any other "coating" product. In my experience they wear off quickly and make things worse than nothing if you don't maintain them. You'd be amazed how well really clean glass alone will shed water. I'm convinced that this is all that needs to be done, together with regular replacement of wiper blades.

Your car is only 3 weeks old. I wouldn't expect the windshield to need much in the way of "deep cleaning", but I guess it depends on where you live and where it sits when parked.

Eagle 20/20 (commonly available at auto supply stores) uses isopropyl alcohol instead of ammonia (which is what most household glass cleaners use). Works great, getting the glass very clean, virtually no streaking. Others have also strongly recommended Eimann Fabrik glass cleaner. Whatever you use, try using a microfiber cloth with it. Much better than paper towel or a regular buffing cloth for getting the glass clean and free of streaks.
    "

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I pretty much agree with all that. Eagle 20/20 sheds water as well as Rain X does and without the streaking.

3. addifan

addifan Guest

I guess I am going to try using a claybar on my winshield... Maybe...

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I really like Rain-X. I don't have to put it on as much as people say that you do, and I rarely have to use my windshield wipers. Using the wipers will actually take the Rain-X off the window, you can see where it is coated and where it isn't. (Where the tip of the wiper ends)

5. perry

perry burp

I polished my windshield yesterday with some of that Meguiar's Swirl Free polish that Scott recommended to me, since I had the buffer out anyways. The terry cloth bonnet came off disgustingly dirty! And the windshield came out really nice looking. I won't be too upset if it doesn't shed the water all that well, I'm happy w/ the way the windshield looks.

6. addifan

addifan Guest

What was the name of your post? Or do you have the link to your post? I would like to give that a try!