Using Boot Camp on a Mac

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bigboostdsm, Oct 21, 2008.

1. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Hey guys, one of my friends in the CET program just got a Mac (I think it's a Macbook Pro) and he needs to get AutoCAD installed on there.

I know that the hard drive needs to be partitioned and then windows installed to use it. We're going to do it tomorrow between classes and then let it run during our labs. He has Windows and AutoCAD (both supplied by our school for free - legit copies) and I think that's all we need.

Thing is, the last time I used a mac was in Elementary school when we played Oregon Trail :mamoru: Any tips, suggestions, etc that will help make this easier and as trouble free as possible?

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you should check out the mac shack for a question like this. You have three options: use bootcamp to boot windows form a partition, use vmware fusion / parallels to run a virtual machine from an image, use both with a partition.

for bootcamp it will do most of the work for you, you go into applications then utilities and run the bootcamp assistant and it will step you through the partitions etc. you will need a windows xp sp2 cd and the mac os cd for the drivers.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Post in the Mac Shack..

But my recommendation is VMWare.. LOVE VMWare on my Macbook Pro.

4. BwanaKuu

BwanaKuu New Member

I just did bootcamp this weekend, it was really easy. Just search for boot in Finder (Mac's explorer) and then run the bootcamp assistant. Print out the instructions, partition, install windows, and install the Mac OSX drivers. It's very simple. Then you just go to the bootcamp assistant in control panel to say what disk you want to restart in or the starup disk section in Systems Preferences (Mac). You can also hold down the option/alt key during bootup and select which OS you want to boot into.

5. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Got it done this afternoon. No hangups at all. Installed Autocad architecture and civil 3d, MS office 07, and avast. Everything works perfectly.