using bluetooth enabled phone for Internet?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NisAznMonk, Jun 28, 2004.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I live in a apartment nearcampus now, and I decided not to get my phone service hooked up. The reason is because I'm with AT&T cellular, so I figured I didn't need a home phone. Anyways I don't have internet access now, but I was curious to know if I could use a Linksys USB Bluetooth adapter ( http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=581 ) on my desktop to connect to my cell phone. I was hoping to use it as a link to access my dial up internet service.

Anyone have any ideas if this will work? I was only planning on using it at nights when I have free nights and weekend minutes.

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

You can connecto AT&T's online service (mMode) that way, but there are seperate charges (not included in free weekends) for the data service.

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

you would have to tether your phone to your computer by using at&t communication manager. im not sure if it supports bluetooth or not. just b/c you have fee n&w doesnt mean the internet is free. mMode is a something totally different than your usage minutes

4. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

You don't have to connect your phone. You could connect it like you said with a bluetooth adapter on your computer and then connect to the internet via CSD, it'll use your minutes though.

5. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

And will connect at a maximum of 9.6kb/s.

Connecting to the internet through a cell phone would only be practical if the phone was EDGE compliant and supported modem use. (Nokia 6200, 6820)

It's decent for an over the air connection (70-80kb/s) but can get HELLA expensive if you don't have the appropriate data plan. For instance, I used it on a business trip without realizing my employee data plan wasn't set up and ran up a $350 phone bill in 4 days. It sucked.

6. maczter

AT&T has an unlimited data plan for business use, but it's data only and can't be used for connecting over your phone (i tried).

You'd have to get one of their PC cards.

...and for the unlimited plan it was $80 last time i checked, so a cable modem would be cheaper.

7. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

lol...at&t and all their m-crap stuff. Since you're staying at an apartment that is close to campus, get a 802.11 card for your notebook and see if anyone has an open network. :) or, you can always split the bill with a neighbor that already has 802.11 setup. If you connect with GPRS or CSD, you're still going at pretty slow speeds.

8. maczter

:werd:

...and a cable modem or $30/month DSL would be cheaper and keep you from pulling your hair out.