Using a virtual machine as a domain controller/DNS/WINS server?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jul 21, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Can anyone think of a reason why this would be bad? As far as I'm concerned, it's just another low-workload overhead task, so I might as well not waste any dedicated hardware on it.

2. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Well, you're going to need a machine to boot and then load that virtual machine. So why bother putting it on the virtual machine in the first place?

Might be a pain as well to set the machine to auto load and run the virtual machine on boot up should the machine ever reboot.

Maybe it's me, but I can't think of any reason why you'd run your critical services on a virtual machine.

3. deusexaethera

I already have 3 VM servers, and the only two pieces of dedicated hardware I have available are a 9 year old P3 Dell Poweredge and an 11-year-old HP NetServer LPr. I would love to dispose of them with unnecessary prejudice.

VMware Server 2.x is a pain in the ass in many respects, but one thing it does do is automatically boot all of my VMs on startup, whether I want it to or not.

4. Fase

Sounds almost like I'd prefer a $40 router to handle my DNS.

Are you planning on using Microsoft server 2003/2008 for DNS or what?

5. deusexaethera

This is for work, btw. No $40 parts on my watch.

The current domain controller is on the 11-year-old POS server I mentioned before; it's also serving out DNS and WINS services, primarily because that makes it oh-so-easy to override the automatically-detected DNS entries when I want things like the company website to have to go out to the ISP and come back in, for security/convenience reasons. It's running WS2003, as would the VM I'm thinking about making.

6. Fase

Do you happen to work where I work :rofl:

WS2003 has a DNS utility that I run. I have Host (A) forward lookup entries in it that I use to route to itself since it also runs IIS.

You were planning on using WS2003 DNS or a third party DNS controller?

7. deusexaethera

WS2003 DNS. I'm basically going to replicate the existing setup on a different machine.

8. Hate Crime

Hate Crime Don't Hate OT Supporter

If you use DFS you are setting yourself up for disaster. Also may run into syncing issues.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I haven't drank the koolaid completely when it comes to VM. I'd put a backup DC/DNS on it, but not the primary.

Besides, the host boots itself and then has no DC to authenticate with - you'll never get GP's deployed properly in that environment.

10. deusexaethera

Hmm. True...

It would be kinda nice if I had the option to put VMware ESXi on my VM servers, because then I could get better virtualization than running on top of Windows allows, and about half of VMware Server 2.x's features actually work in ESXi, and I wouldn't need to worry about domain authentication on the host machine. Maybe I'll do one later on; I have enough room to fit all my VMs on two machines, or I will once one of the larger VMs gets replaced with a dedicated box.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  11. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

Our primary internal DNS and WINS are on physical servers, happens to also be our internal time server. Our backup internal DNS and WINS are on the same VM. Our external DNS is on it's own VM ...

I'm currently in the process of migrating all the VMs off the old 1.0 servers onto newer faster 2.0 servers ... going good so far. Having these all hooked to a SAN makes it a snap. :big grin:

12. 5Gen_Prelude

BTW, why are you guys still using WINS?

13. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, I've been wondering that myself... who uses WINS?

14. deusexaethera

I'm using it because the IT Services company we paid to configure our WAN and domain set it up that way, and to be honest, nobody in our company really knows better than they do at this point -- we just paid them off so we could have direct control of the infrastructure going forward.

What replaced WINS?

- - -

Sweet! ESXi supports VMware hardware 7! That means I don't have to downconvert any of my VMs if I want to move from VMware Server 2 to ESXi. That was the biggest hangup for me at the time, because I'm fresh out of WS2003 licenses and I'd have to reactivate all my VMs if I downconverted them.

Anybody know if ESXi can access Windows network fileshares, or does it have to run off local or SAN disks? The VMs will all be on local disks, but I'll need to throw them on an NFS share to get them out of the way when reformat and install ESXi.

15. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

We use WINS for static printer assignments ...

We take the printer out of the box, plug it in, it gets an IP and registers itself with WINS. We can change the name and IP to match our naming convention and it's all updated automatically and we don't have to touch it on the server side except when there are problems. I don't think DNS will do that ...

16. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

17. 5Gen_Prelude

DHCP registers names into DNS. Last time I used WINS was NT 4.0