Using A Linksys Router as an Ethernet Hub/Switch

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HaydenMac, Oct 12, 2009.

1. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

Linksys EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch is the hardware I have

I want it to operate like a EtherFast 10/100 5-Port Workgroup Switch, those cute little mini hubs that work so well everywhere else in the office.

Is it as simple as turning DHCP off on the router and just using the ports 1,2,3,4 to connect the devices I want to talk to each other on the same c class subnet, or is there more to it?

Reason being is that we have this piece of hardware left over, and I'd rather use that (even though its like using a sledgehammer to nail in a brad) than go out and buy more hardware.

Normally I'd just test it myself on the network and see what happens, but because there are a shitload of computers that could go offline if I'm not careful in testing, I'd ask for your theoretical opinions first. Don't want to knock the x-ray server offline :noes:

Thanks guys :wavey:

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yep, just turn off DHCP.

3. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

Thanks!

4. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

turn off dhcp, don't use the internet port at all. you'll only be able to hook up 3 devices because one of the ports is used for connection to the router/network

5. HaydenMac

HaydenMac Active Member

Right, I really only need to hook up 2 devices :wiggle: I'll update with a success story, hopefully :noes: