Using a DVI to HDMI Cable...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Mar 16, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Back in the 'post your setup' thread, someone was using a DVI to HDMI cable to watch slideshows on their TV. Thought it was a great idea so I bought one.

Lately I've been ripping and encoding DVDs using Handbrake's Apple TV preset. Movies come out good and I plan on using them on a future media center or Apple TV.

I finally got the chance to play with the DVI to HDMI cable with my PowerBook. I was hoping to test out one of my ripped movies tonight but it looks like total on the TV. I'm trying to figure out where the problem is. Here is a link to my TV. It's a Hitachi 56" projection TV, HD ready.

http://merchant.satisfusion.com/sf/library/manuals/owners/51F59.pdf

I've tried making the TV the main monitor and mirroring but the high quality encoded videos look like total ass-- pixelated and dark. The TV manual says the HDMI interface isn't intended for computer use, so that could be the problem.

Anyone have any input on this? Is it cause of the TV? PowerBook? Am I missing something?

I'm also wondering how these encoded videos will look once I get a media center setup. I don't want to encode all these videos only to find out they weren't encoded right. But I've read that using Handbrake's Apple TV preset is supposed to be excellent.

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my hdtv looks like crap when i use a dvi to hdmi cable, it can't quite handle any resolution i throw at it. i have a vga input, that works great

looks like you don't have a vga input

what are you settings in handbrake? do the videos look like ass on your powerbook?
    if possible could you upload a sample?

3. verbal

verbal Active Member

Apple TV encoded movies look great on the PB screen.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I've hooked my mini to my 52" TV a via a 25ft DVI-HDMI cable. Looks bad because the mini doesn't support the right resolutions for the TV. Should give it a try with my MBP.

5. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm guessing it's the TV though. It is a projection HD ready TV. :dunno:

6. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

its the TV. Tried to do DVI to HDMI on my macbook and the image was just horrible. The Apple TV is designed to output at HD levels while most regular computers need lots of tweaking. if you can, set the HDMI input to "auto" and not to PC or Video.

7. verbal

verbal Active Member

I can't. There aren't any settings.

Are there any USB or Firewire devices that output HDMI? It would be pretty nice.

8. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

Did you run through the monitor calibration utility on your mac after you plugged in the TV?

9. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Won't work unless the tv can accept pc signal over hdmi. Even then it's odd usually non 16x9 resolutions the tv can support. Better off getting a tv with an VGA interface that supports 1:1 pixel mapping.

10. jackback52

jackback52 Guest

I know theres a program out there that can configure the display to any format you want. I forget whats its called but I do remember it shareware.

Forget it found the program
    http://www.3dexpress.de/
    DisplayconfigX

11. verbal

verbal Active Member

I never ran the config util, I guess I could try it.

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

not reading your whole post, but i use my MBP on my Panny 42" plasma via DVI to HDMI and it looks fantastic

13. verbal

verbal Active Member

Does your TV manual say you can use it for PC? My manual says "HDMI isn't intended for PC use."

I'm thinking that's the issue. But I'm wondering if all TVs say that.

14. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

mine says not to use a pc over the hdmi port. i guess they are just trying to cover their butts, incase you try to get it to display some funky resolution, it is slightly possible that you may damage the display

i would attempt the standard resolutions. mine accepts 720p and 1080i, but the native resolution is 1366x768. my video card will only do 1360x768, it looks just fine.
    also mine will handle 1280x768, its not as clear though. i think it will also do 1024x768, but it looks pretty chunky and everything is huge

i couldn't really find an accurate native resolution for your set, but i'm guessing its 1366x768. it may actually have a native resolution of 1080i, which is 1920x1080, however i doubt it. you could also try 720p resolution of 1280x720

a projection crt is not really a great idea for connecting to a pc, it can have burn in problems

if all else fails, read this:
    http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41455

15. mojito

mojito New Member

16. verbal

verbal Active Member

What settings? I'm doing more testing on mine tonight. I think I'm SOL though. Gotta wait till I get a better TV. :wtc:

17. mojito

mojito New Member

highest rez (the top and bottom are cut off by the tinniest bit)

other than that, its plug and play :hs:

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I'm using a dvi>hdmi cable on my 42" LCD 1080p HDTV and it looks fucking great. I adjusted the overscan to get the size just right.