user profile size

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by astro1112, Jan 26, 2004.

1. astro1112

astro1112 New Member

i run w2k on my laptop. i looked under the system setting and the user profile tab, the admin is about 3 mb in size, and the name i use for all of my work etc is 220 mb. is there a way i can reduce size of space the user profile to speed up my machine, or i am i just paranoid?

thanks in advance

2. x6ftundx

x6ftundx New Member

You could just create a share on a network drive or have your systems admin create a DFS ROOT Share and dump it there. I really wouldn't worry about it as long as its a roaming profile and your admin is backing it up.

3. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

If you have alot of uneeded (large) junk on your desktop it will increase the size of your profile. Might want to check that out. :dunno:

4. Mirlyn

Mirlyn Guest

My Documents also gets moved....check that too (pics, songs, etc).

5. astro1112

astro1112 New Member

my doc is only about 75 megs, and desktop only totals (inc my doc) about 80 mb. should i take into consideration that i set up a specific theme, with fonts, colors, and menu settings? (default windows background tho).

my actual question that i was trying ask was: should i be concerned about the size of my profile... and what could i do to reduce the size?

6. Mirlyn

Mirlyn Guest

Well, you shouldn't need to be concerned unless there is cause for concern. Does it run slow? Start up slow? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.

If so, then I'd think about going through some of the old stuff and see if you can delete them. If nothing else, see if you can make a CD of the stuff or have one made for you. That way you have some form of backup you can use yourself should you need it.

7. Count Nigula

Count Nigula º¿º DJ º¿º

when you log in, it only loads your profile not all of them.

8. x6ftundx

x6ftundx New Member

The only time you have to worry is:

1. If it takes a long time to startup when you log into the network.
    2. Your network admin limits the size of the profile

Also you should delete your temp internet files they can get huge and most admin's bring them over on the profile.