Used Time Machine for the first time today...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by skolen, Feb 26, 2008.

1. skolen

skolen Guest

I heard a piece of music by Philip Glass and I liked it. I recall downloading his collective works and sifting through a few random folders and trashing the rest after hearing a lot of crap. And his stuff can be extremely crappy, while others is just amazing.

So I noticed one of the pieces I liked was gone and I popped open TM. Did a search for "Philip Glass" in my downloads folder, watched it zoom back to December and *BOOM* there it fucking was.

Selected the folders, hit restore, done. :bigthumb: I likey.

2. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

I haven't used it yet :dunno:

3. skolen

skolen Guest

Well, in this case that would be a good thing.

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

So unlike the rest of Leopard, it really does "just work"? Nice.

5. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

I wish it had a little more granular control...something more than just a folder exclude option so I could exclude things it deems necessary but aren't (like huge intermediate files from projects i'm working on, for example). That and some automated functionality to add an offline layer to it...like 'anything older than x date, or anything that takes the nearline (disk) backup over xxxGB' type ability to dump to DVD, tape, an offline disk, etc.

Add those, and it'd be perfect IMO. ibtimemachinepro?

6. eighteen_psi

Leopard 'just works' for me and I'll wager my setup is way more complicated than yours :dunno: What's broken?

7. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

like this? it already has it:

[​IMG]

8. fatass

fatass New Member

time machine rocks. it pretty much takes care of 9/10 users out there. the other 1/10 know what they are doing enough to use something else.

also it's better to have time machine then nothing.

9. eighteen_psi

I meant something more than that. The issue is with particular file types. Anything the OS recognizes as cache & temp for example it won't back up. But that doesn't include cache/scratch for individual apps, and those files can take up a ton of room sometimes. It doesn't have any way of knowing what's just cache for RAM previews, autosaves, etc....stuff that could easily be reproduced from source media + project file (which is backed up). It's impractical to specify an exclude folder for every project file, or whatever. Exclude extension, for example, would be nice. To apple's credit though, FCP workflow lends itself very well to time machine's strengths (or vice versa). Adobe shit doesn't though.

I'm nitpicking all around though, its shit that bugs me and about 100 other users on the planet.

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i had to use it the other day too. the recent pro kit update killed my ability to use Live Type, a common problem found with this upgrade. the fix was to download the older kit, download pacifist, figure out which files you needed to replace...blah blah blah.

after I did a search at apple, I found the files that needed to be replaced. i looked in my install history, found out when the new pro kit was installed, went to the day before than in time machine and restored only the needed old files.

Live Type works just fine now! :woot: