Used motor stores and "parts only" warranty issues ... feedback?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by kid, Jul 18, 2009.

1. kid

kid recovering alcoholic

bought shortblock from "HIGH QUALITY - PRE TESTED - CLEANED - 6 MONTH WARRANTY*" local company
    install motor, no start.
    tow to shop, have converted to obd2 ($300), rough. have valves adjusted ($150), still so rough it's undrivable. Compression tests at 90/105/125/125psi.
    motor seller guy says "omg we test everything i dunno how it would have got out of our tests like that, bring it in i'll give you another one"

so i'm out the 450 for installation, plus I have to uninstall/reinstall, just to get another potentially tested (and potentially fucked) motor.

it's been suggested I file a BBB complaint and request a refund or split costs or reinstallation ... anyone been up against this before? Would that stand a chance?

2. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

You bought a used engine and they're going to replace it after finding fault with it, I fail to see what they're doing wrong? You get what you pay for.

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

It seems like they are doing the right thing by replacing it... filing a BBB complaint isn't likely to do anything. Maybe you can get them to do the installation for you?

4. kid

kid recovering alcoholic

if theyd properly tested it before selling i wouldnt be out so much cash to make it this far ... leakdown test says 90% COMPRESSION LOSS in cylinder 1

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If I remember correctly, you were pissed before but you weren't sure about taking action about it. You let yourself get talked into it, don't expect a different group of people to talk you back out of it again. You know your options, so pick the one you think is best.

If you file a complaint, be prepared to never do business with them again.

6. kid

kid recovering alcoholic

i'm hesitant to throw a scene just like I avoid confrontation in my life, you absolutely nailed it.

i came here looking for tales of people who'd beaten similar circumstances so i'd tell myself I have a good chance at winning.

7. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

I dunno dude i think you might be over-reacting. I mean, they are giving you a new engine. I mean, why did you do all that shit before you brought it back?

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You don't need to throw a scene. They sold you a defective product, and they're going to replace it for free. It would be nice if they paid for the install/diagnosis/removal also, but I don't think I've ever seen a company that would refund money for work they didn't do.

Stick a boroscope down the sparkplug holes on the new engine, or get your shop to do the same. See if they can do a compression check with the engine on a stand before installing it this time.

9. Injun_josh2

Injun_josh2 New Member

you should always compression check a used engine before installing it. lesson learned.