GUN Used Gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LennySEC, Sep 12, 2004.

1. LennySEC

LennySEC New Member

Whaat do i look for when buying a used gun? What are the signs of a good gun and a bad one? Aslo, what are some good questions that i could ask for better info on the gun?

2. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

If you don't know much about guns I suggest you take someone along with you who does.

3. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

what are you looking to buy

4. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Check to make sure the firing pin isn't broken (I generally stick a pen down the barrel and check it that way), check rifling inside the barrel just to make sure its not too worn down. Make sure theres no buldges inside the barrel from a bad round. Check to make sure the frame to slide fit isn't too loose even if its gonna be a carry gun. I like to dry fire the gun a couple of times to make sure the trigger wasn't trashed by a hill billy gunsmith. Now if you're buying a customized gun there are some other things to check out also such as the ramp, finish (if original or not), try to find out who did the work and when, etc.
    Generally I would just try and stick to a Major manuf. and a recent date coded gun if you're unsure about what you're buying.

5. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

I worry more about buying rifles and revolvers than shotguns and pistols.

Rifles and revolvers are more likely to have had high power hand loads put through them.

6. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Bolt guns I don't really worry about that much, I check the barrel and then the action if both look good theres not much else. Gas powered guns are a bit more complex, but I won't buy a gun unless I can break down the gun and visually go thru everything, I'll break down the bolt off an AR15 check to make sure the internals aren't loose or broken.
    I prefer to put a few rounds thru AR's if I'm trying to buy on a budget, because you don't want to have to buy a $700 AR and then spend another 100-200 just to make it work. I learned this the hard way, I bought a Bushmaster M17S which I figured would just work, and it did work. It just didn't work with a suppressor on it. I spent quite a bit of time getting it to work properly, and I'm not sure about you but time is money for me.