Used C5 Vette vs. Used GTO

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by red97gst, Oct 10, 2007.

1. red97gst

red97gst New Member

Besides the obvious, like the vette being a 2-seater and weighing a lot less, what is the reasoning that would make you choose one car over the other?

does it more come down to interior/exterior styling and handling as the main differences?

Both can be had for 15-20k in decent condition...albeit the vettes being much older of course

Which will hold its value better over the next 12 months?

How bout over the next 5 years?

2. What do you want to do with it?

3. red97gst

red97gst New Member

It won't be a daily driver, just something to drive on weekends and quick 90 minute blasts on the highway, with some in-town driving at night. I have never been to a road racing track (would be VIR most likely) and would like to start doing a little racing maybe one weekend a month for a few months a year.

Is there a big difference in maintenance costs like new brakes after a race? I assume Z06 brakes would be a bit more...

I'd likely keep the car close to stock, maybe a few bolt-ons. I don't want a harsh ride, so a base vette or GTO may or may not get any suspension mods unless it dramatically improves the car's behavior.

Are any of the cars more or less forgiving than others at their handling limits? Z06 is a bit more than I wanted to spend...are they depreciating much slower?

4. If you're interested in road racing, then the vette is definately the way to go. Brakes aren't too expensive unless you want a real race pad. You can get a set of Hawk HP+ for a couple hundred. They'll probably last you 2 track days. If you find a Z51 option C5 it's not that much softer than a Z06, and it's plenty streetable.

5. red97gst

red97gst New Member

Will an LS2 GTO hold its value better than a C5 Z51? Given the GTO is now defunct? Or will no one care about GTOs once the new camaro comes out...

6. I can't predict the future, but look at a 2005 GTO for example. They have shed about 1/3 of their value in 2 years. My 99 FRC shed about 1/2 of its value in 8 years. If you compare a 2005 GTO to a 2005 Vette you'll find that the vette has lost only about 7% of its value.

7. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

6.0 GTO > C5 vette

C5 Z06 > 6.0 GTO

8. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

LS2 over the LS1. if both are LS1 powered I'd have to go for the vette.

9. R1DDL3

R1DDL3 FLYING HELLFISH

do you need 4 seats? if yes then goat. if no then vette.

10. numbZ

numbZ New Member

I went from a C5 Z06 to a LS2 GTO and now onto a C6. Looking back I should have just kept the Z06. It was Speedway White too (352 produced).

[​IMG]

11. :drool: I love white vettes.

12. Steve McQueen

Steve McQueen New Member

Damn, I'm trying to find a nice SW Z right now and its crazy how hard it is.

If it isnt your DD, get the Vette.

13. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

Don't pick a car based on holding it's value.

14. RubiconSahara

RubiconSahara OT Supporter

Predictions are that the GTO's should go back up in value eventually, but that is going to be years down the road. If I could trade my goat for a C5, it would have to be a Z06. My wife DD the goat, so the extra room over the vette plus the nicer interior makes it GTO > C5

15. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Cars are not for investments period.

The GTO as a tourer is a different beast then the vette. From the sounds of what your looking for you'll be better off with the vette which will handle better, faster especially if it's the z06, and it is what it is more of a race car.

GTO is a great car don't get me wrong but it's for an entirely different segment then the Vette.

I'd say go with the vette. Oh and both are goign to drop like hell next few years which is why again cars are not for investments.

16. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

Predictions from who? GTO owners?

The GTO will never go "back up". It dropped hard and fast for a reason.

17. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

:werd:

It isnt a fucking investment, it is a car you are going to go thrash on at the track. Get the one that will be the most fun to drive.

18. Rich

Rich New Member

This is true.