used A4 reliability

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by theburninator, May 16, 2004.

1. theburninator

theburninator Better Living Through Chemistry

so i'm looking for a used car, i've got my eyes on this very nice '97 Audi A4 2.8 v-6 quattro 5-speed.....very very nice red with black and tan leatherinside, sunroof, cd changer, blah blah blah
    the car has had all maintainence done according to schedule at the audi dealership (even oil changes) 110K

the guy is asking 8500

the clutch feels like in engages unusually high in the travel (but then again i've never driven an audi manual before so it could mean anything i guess) it may need a new clutch and control arms- the owner has new upper arms in a box and lower ones installed already, just need to be installed

so to me, it sounds like a pretty good deal, my father on the other hand thinks that I will not be able to afford maintainence on such a vehicle... anyone have any experience with this car?

2. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

I used to own a 99.5 A4 5 speed. The clutch engages very high in A4's so that is nothing really to be concerned about. If the clutch is slipping, then you have something to be worried about. The 2.8 from 97 is the 12v and is a dog. Doesn't create all that much power and there isn't much you can do for more power. It is reliable though, just weak. The 5 speed is geared for good acceleration but leaves your rpm's pretty high for highway cruising, not exactly like the 1.8 high but still pretty high. Just something to get used to.

Control arms go bad and there are a lot of them in this car. Besides that you don't need to take it to an Audi dealer to get it fixed, most independent shops can do it or find a local shop that does work on veedub's or german cars in general.

Audi dealers are ripoff artists. :squint:

Still a fun car though. :bigthumb:

3. Dr. Woo

Dr. Woo Guns don't kill people

Very true. American A4 owners NEED a VAG-COM or need to know someone who has one. A dealer back in the States charged me $150 just to check the air bag light. They determined that there was no problem, so they just reset it. $150 for something that took them 1 minute of key-pressing.

In stark contrast, I recently had my A4 serviced over here in Germany. Full diagnostic, oil change (bought the oil, too), and ordered a replacement hose for the engine. They installed that, too. 93 Euro, or about $110.

4. GoGophers

GoGophers New Member

:fawk:

Oh local Audi dealer... :rant2: