Use Ethernet and wireless on desktop for dual connection?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Omega6_Virus, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

I'm running XP pro on a system I built a couple weeks ago. I have a 10-1000 ethernet on the mb and I also have a 54ghz wireless card for a desktop but it's not on the desktop. I am running a two computer network; I am directly connected the router and a laptop on a 802.11b card(it also has another built in wireless connection).

Now, my question is, can I install the wireless desktop card and use both the hardline and wireless and bridge the two like I can on the laptop? Would it be worth it or would it just take up computing power.

120WD 8mb cache
    2.4 Intel P4
    512mb
    DFI LanParty-Pro

2. TMReX

TMReX Spoooooon!

you better check under the sea! or Dallas
    If given the option of hardline, wireless, or hardline+wireless, just go with hardline. Otherwise you are just wasting wireless bandwidth for your non-hardline devices.

Connecting multiple devices to a single 802.11b access point doesn't double your bandwidth. All connections to the same access point on the same channel use the same shared bandwidth (in the case of 802.11b this is 11Mb/s maximum under ideal conditions.)

Besides all that, why open yourself up to the risk of wireless snooping for no reason?

3. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Bridge = The network bridge provides an inexpensive and easy way to connect network segments. Not to add extra speed to one network segment.

If you have a wired connection to the desktop and wireless to a laptop why would you want to add the overhead of wireless to the desktop? Yes you can create a bridge to another machine with the wireless card but if you already have an wireless access point why would you want to???

If you want faster network connections to the desktop find yourself a gigabyte ethernet switch - but then what are you going to use the speed for? Internet limited to a couple meg max by your ISP? File sharing with the latop limited by its wireless connection? Having a fast connection to the switch is completely useless if it does not have another device with the same or better connection to communicate with.

4. Omega6_Virus

Omega6_Virus New Member

Ah, didn't know that.

Ya, I know what you mean. The wireless connection with the laptop is a PITA as it is. I actually feel like just getting a long ethernet cable for it.

Thanks for the replies.