USB Thumb Drive Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NPH, Jan 12, 2008.

1. NPH

NPH Guest

Why is it that Windows Vista (possibly other OSes?), will display and group one thumb drive with the Hard Disk Drives.. and other thumb drives as Devices with Removable Storage?

I have a Lexar 2GB thumb drive and it's always grouped with the disk drive (C).. but when I insert the Sony 1GB thumb drive, it always shows under Devices with Removable Storage?

:confused:

2. awns729

awns729 New Member

hm, not sure. gonna guess, different format (NTFS vs. FAT32), U3 system installed on one but not the other? who knwos hah

3. Chris

Chris New Member

yeah, check and see what the drives are formatted as, cause if its ntfs then windows will group it with the normal hard drives

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Windows has the ability to see the types of devices chained together inside the plastic case of your thumb drive. I have a thumb drive and a hard drive inside a USB enclosure, and both of them register as hard drives, while the various types of memory cards I have plugged into my card reader all register as removable drives. All of them are formatted FAT32.

It all depends on each of the devices involved in accessing the storage unit, and what the drivers for each device tell Windows to do. In any event, I've never found a reason to complain about how Windows deals with my removable storage, even if they're not all treated the same.

5. NPH

NPH Guest

They are both formatted as FAT32. I agree, no complaints as long as it registers and I can use it without any problems. I was just curious as to why that happens.