Usb problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ep, May 5, 2008.

1. Ep

Ep Guest

Once again ipod fucks with me again. Only thing I changed about my computer was putting a power supply in. Now I plug in my ipod into the USB and it says can not be recognized? Can't upload my shit now.. I tried clicking the message and it didn't tell me jack shit

what to do? thanks

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

I'm thinking that message did in fact tell you jack shit.

But first of all, the power supply swap doesn't have anything to do with this.
    That's just a coincidence.
    Unless of course, the one you replaced it with is putting out such low wattage numbers, that the computer is starving.
    If that were the case, then maybe the USB port wouldn't run properly.

In the meantime, do you have anything else like a USB thumbdrive that you can test the port with to see if it's working properly?

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  3. Ep

Ep Guest

The usb drives that I have available are the 5 or 6 located on the bottom of the back of the computer. They are like little cards clipped into the inside of the pic. (this is an old ass computer) None of them work

It is highly possible the power supply is not very strong. I walked into the place insisting that I needed a 30$+ power supply (by recommendation) and he convinced me just to get this 14.99$ basic one, just to see if that was my problem (at the time I didn't know why my computer wasn't turning on). Well it was, and I figured everything would be cool if the computer turned on and didn't seem to have problems.

It's a 300 watt ATX if that helps

4. aim2kill

aim2kill New Member

well 300watt is all fine and dandy, but what kind of hardware are you using?:ugh:

5. Doc Brown

So I take it that one of those 5 or 6 USB ports located on the bottom of the back of the computer are where you tried to plug the iPod into when it didn't work?

And I take it that is the same location you ran it before you changed the psu?

And I take it that it worked fine then?

And I take it you haven't done a reinstall of the os since then?

And I take it that the usb porst are not an adapter card, but are built into the motherboard?

And I take it you're running windows xp?

That's a lot of guessing, I know. But that's stuff that could be relevant here.

What were the circumstances of you swapping the psu in the first place?

Is it because the iPod didn't work then either?

Have you ever had anything plugged into those ports that worked?

6. Ep

Ep Guest

Ah sorry. The ports worked fine prior to the power supply swap. My ipod was working fine. I am running XP and have changed absolutely nothing with the computer other than the power supply. Computer sat for a few months. The usb ports are connected to a little chip screwed into the back of the computer. Not sure if that is what you mean. The computer turned off one day while I was on it, and I looked up online at my girl's house that it could be the power supply. I was really busy doing other important shit for like 2-3 months so I didn't get the power supply until a few weeks ago. I did the swap myself, and it turned on so I was like fuck it. It DOES seem a little sluggish I might add though.

Fuck me, I just plugged something into the USB that wasn't my ipod and it worked fine.. Does this mean it's my ipod or ipod cable?

I plug in the ipod, the ipod has the "do not disconnect" sign, but the hardware thing says that it's not recognized and has failed

*Checked the USB hub or whatever and says they are working properly. Idk if that helps

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2008
  7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

My guess is the power supply. I haven't seen a machine that could safely run on 300 watts since the Pentium 3 came out.

8. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

Heh, you haven't seen my PCs at home then... one of them is an athlon XP 2200+ with 2 hard drives, a cdrom drive, a dvdrw, and a geforce6600GT. Nothing super new or anything, but it has a 300W ATX power supply and has been running fine for years.

Back when 300W power supplies first started getting big everyone used to tell me "Theres no way you can run more than 1 hard drive and cdrom on a 230W power supply" yet I did it all the time and never had a problem.

9. Ep

Ep Guest

hardware? Idk. I have windows xp, piece of shit video card, piece of shit sound card. I bought the computer used like 3 years ago and it was old back then. Sticker says Amd-athlon XP on the front tower. sooner or later Ill get a new computer but, rather have a sportsbike instead:hs:

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

just so you know, not all 300watt power supplies are created equal. a good 300 watt power supply can handle a higher load than a cheap one and a cheap one might not even handle a moderate load all that well.

from what i've seen in the past, issues with the power supply can cause all kinds of weirdness aside from the system not booting. so, it isn't really all that odd for you to have USB issues with a shitty power supply, especially once you consider that USB sends power on the bus and some devices have issues if you don't get enough power.

you may want to see if it is any different if you plug in a powered usb hub and plug in teh ipod through there. it probably won't make a difference since the ipod itself already has battery, but you never know if it wants power from the USB bus.

11. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

do you have any usb device plugged to your pc? printer, webcam, external hdd, etc?
    unplug those then try the ipod

also try:

1. on device manager, under Universal Serial Bus controllers, look for the USB Root Hub entries, right click on them, click on power management tab, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power", reboot, try the ipod.

2. on device manager, USB controllers, right click and uninstall USB Root Hub entries, reboot, let windows detect and reinstall drivers, then try the ipod.

3. try the ipod on a different pc.

12. Ep

Ep Guest

no other usb stuff is connected except for my ghetto mouse which is up top where the keyboard plugs in. I just realized that next to my mouse was yet another USB port, so I tried plugging the ipod in. It said "found new hardware" etc. But then the message said there was a problem installing the hardware.:rant2:

ill try the other stuff you suggested

13. deusexaethera

Okay, next thing. Maybe it's a driver problem. Try reinstalling iTunes.

14. Ep

Ep Guest

okay, quick question before i do that. If I uninstall itunes, will it delete all my songs? Should I put them in a separate folder if that is the case? thanks

15. Doc Brown

It shouldn't, but if it was me I would copy and paste them into another folder, just in case.
    Or rename the folder, or drag and drop the stuff out of there.

16. Ep

Ep Guest

gay gay and gay. I uninstalled and reinstalled itunes (and yeah it saved my music) and it still doesnt work. I keep getting the same message, and it's weird because when I have the ipod plugged in (seemingly doing nothing) I can't click anything in itunes. As if it were doing something. "Autoplay" little pop up even comes up. but nothing:ugh:

[​IMG]

17. deusexaethera

Okay.

1. Borrow a cable from a friend and see if that makes your iPod work. If it does, your cable is bad.

2. If another cable doesn't help, plug your iPod into a friend's computer (you don't have to sync up, just see if it's detected properly). If it works, then the problem is definitely with your computer.

3. If neither 1 nor 2 work, then your iPod is fux0red.

18. Ep

Ep Guest

aight man. Going to the womans house in a few so Ill check it out. Hopefully none of her shit music gets transfered to my ipod

Aight well Im here and no good. Both my wire and hers gave me the same error. Guess the ipod is fucked then? Fucken ipods man. My broke like 3 years ago and this is her's

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008