usb problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zentrickster, Oct 26, 2004.

1. zentrickster

zentrickster New Member

just got a digital camera and after installing the software i got from canon, i plug the camera into the usb port and the computer freezes and goes to a black screen. it happens with a usb key drive too..... i've downloaded photos on a friends laptop so i know its not the camera or cord.

i'm running win98 and when i go to control panel>system>device manager>usb root hub>properties, it lists 2 drivers one of them is not available and its called something "vmm32.vxd(ntkern.vxd)".

is that the driver?? is that the problem you think??

what can i do to remedy this????

thanks in advance.

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Upgrade to USB 2.0 drivers.

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

:ugh:

Windows 98 sucks with USB unfortunately and sometimes it takes a lot of playing around to get it to work. I assume you have USB 1.1 which is HARDWARE based and a 2.0 update won't do anything for you. Even if you got USB 2.0 it probably wouldn't help because the problem lies with Win98.

Try uninstalling your USB hub and reboot, it'll pop up saying it found new hardware -- let it reinstall itself. There may be a conflict between the camera driver and the flash driver as well. Try using the camera on one USB port and the flash drive on the other and sticking with it.

Also, if you have 98 SE (Second Edition) you may want to try the unofficial service pack: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4131.html. Keep in mind this isn't microsoft released or supported but I've used it on my laptop (which had USB problems) and it seemed to clear them up a bit.

4. zentrickster

zentrickster New Member

thanks for the tip slid. to uninstall the usb hub, i go to control panel>system>device manager>usb root hub and click remove, right??

i'm just trying to be careful, last time i fucked around with a .vxd driver file, i lost everything.....

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Yes, remove.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't fool proof and it *could* screw up Windows. I once uninstalled a program through Add/Remove programs in Win98 and the whole thing got fuxed up, had to format.

If you have anything important on the computer make sure it is backed up.

6. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

:ugh:

First off, if he's running Windows 98, his hardware is more than likley running USB 1.1. The device he's trying to connect to it is probably USB 2.0. They are not compatable with eachother, and it is infact a well known problem to have problems like he is witnessing because of this. If he upgrades to the USB 2.0 drivers Windows will be able to detect his USB device that he's trying to connect. He is not using USB 2.0 and it won't be able to change anything, but he will now be able to read it.

Do your research before trying to stump me. :slap:

7. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

USB 2.0 is backwards compatible to USB 1.1.

8. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Wow... just wow. USB 2.0 is always backward compatible with 1.1. If it isn't then it isn't the USB 2.0 standard.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Of course it is, fools. Windows 98 has trouble reading it if you don't upgrade to USB 2.0 drivers.

10. zentrickster

zentrickster New Member

after updating with the official and unofficial windows updates, the pc finally read the files from my camera. i never had to uninstall the usb root hub........

thanks slid for the tips.