USB Power Savings

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slid., Apr 27, 2005.

1. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

I just got a new USB hard drive that I'm going to schedule backups to and I was looking for an option to power-down the device when its not in use but I can't seem to find anything.

In short if I leave it running all the time its going to get hot and I don't want that. It is powered from USB (no AC cable).

Any software to do this?

Thanks.

2. Ridley

Ridley Guest

I'd say when you're not using it, unplug it. USB is meant to be hot-swapable so it shouldn't affect you too much.

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Ya but I want it to be more of a "set it and forget it." I don't want to forget to hook the HD up and not have a backup happen, ya know?

The USB Root Hub has a power savings option that says "Allow windows to turn off this device to save power." with a checkbox. Oddly enough when I check it and go back into that window the checkbox is unchecked. :mad:

I'm at a loss.

4. Ridley

Ridley Guest

I'm guessing you're doing scheduled backups then?

That's odd about power management though. I know lots of people have problems getting it turned off, but not getting it turned on.

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

You got it -- I've looked up "power management" etc etc etc. and all the instructions say "uncheck the power management...." because of the issues it sometimes causes.

I have it unplugged for now -- as long as I don't forget to plug it back in I'll be okay. :noes: :noes: