USB Portable Power Supply

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rusbrmasas, Feb 3, 2009.

1. rusbrmasas

rusbrmasas New Member

Hi,

I am looking to buy a portable USB power supply for my iPhone 3G.
    I will be flying next month, so I need something to provide additional power while I am in the air.

I have searched around, and found:

IGO® POWERXTENDER UNIVERSAL AA BATTERY-OPERATED CHARGER

IGO POWER TIP-A133 (adapter for iPod/iPhone)

I live in Canada (so I can't buy from places such as Amazon.com) and would like to keep the cost to a minimum (I don't fly all that often).

I am wondering what people recommend for an affordable portable power supply, that accepts USB?

Thanks for your time.

- Brennan

2. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

What do you plan on doing on the plan that you will use up the battery? My 3g lasts for 2-3 days between moderate talk time and standby. I wouldn't think there is much you could do that would drain the battery over one flight.

3. gman427

gman427 New Member

From my iphone my battry goes down fast, but that is because i watch videos and play games on my a lot. I have also been reseraching for something to juice up my iphone to last longer. i have found a company called solio thy sell universal batteries for ipod touch. The batteries can be chrged using solar power or using a computer to charge it. a little big though

4. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Popular Science (or may have been Popular Mechanics, I used to get both) had a How-To several years ago about how to make one out of an altoids can, a couple bucks of radio shack parts, and a few aa (or aaa) batteries. You may be able to find the article online somewhere...

5. BUCE

BUCE what the fuck is the internet?

6. avctechsupp

avctechsupp New Member

for an iPhone 3G...

The Kensington Power Pack is cool; slim; sleek. Not the best build quality, I've found. But it will give you a whole charge.

The Powermonkey is pretty nifty! I bought one @ Best Buy a while back (I know...), but that thing can charge a 3G more than a couple times. It also comes with all these various AC power plugs, as well as about 10 different output tips (5.0VDC, mini-USB, 30-pin iPod, etc)

Powerline "Musicpower Encore" is great, too. It has a rechargeable battery, AC plug built-in, and 2 USB-A receptacle's. Similar capacity to the Kensington.

Let us know what you decide, please.